Chapter 7: Much The Same

I decided that I was going to heed Fred's advice and go home for Christmas. It was fine. I spent essentially all of the time with mum though, which was lovely. Christmas break was about two weeks or so. It was nice to see mum again. I turned 12 before break, felt weird, but still much the same.

We hardly saw dad the whole time, which was fine as it gave me plenty of privacy to draw mum. I loved drawing my mum as the drawings always turned out perfect.

The day before I was set to return to Hogwarts, mum seemed to be extra sad, so I asked her what's wrong.

"Your father and I.." she stopped.

"Yes mum, I know, you told me," I reached out my hand.

She grabbed and said, "you're so young, and shouldn't have to bear this burden. But your father and I... we're not getting along well anymore M.E (the nickname she sometimes called me)," she grabbed both my hands. A single tear fell from the corner of her left eye.

"Oh," I said. It was the only thing I could muster. I kept my tears hidden for her.

"YOU MUST KNOW," she got stern, "that this is NOT your fault, my love!"

I didn't say anything.

"Your father and I love you more than words can say."

"I know mum," I said getting increasingly more sad.

"We still have love for each other. I reckon it's just not the same as it once was," her voiced cracked. I gave her a hug, an even bigger hug than I did that day before I got on the train to Hogwarts. She wiped her tears away, kissed my forehead and whispered, "okay my love, let's go."

The journey back to Hogwarts was a long one. I was actually going back before most others as my mum didn't want me around her and dad. I didn't want her to be sad. I didn't want to be sad.
———————————————————————-
Eventually, the snow melted and it was soon spring, the end of of my first term was coming quickly. It was my favorite time of year, especially at Hogwarts. The flowers on the Womping Willow blossomed with the the warmth of the sun. Tabatha was able to get out and stretch her cat legs, trying to catch fairies and birds in the process.

One Saturday morning, in mid-spring, after I had my morning tea, I left the castle and headed to look at the Womping Willow. I had my drawing pad with me, of course. My goal was to sketch it, in the spring to see how it changed since winter.

No more than five minutes after I sat down and began to draw I heard a familiar voice, "Oi, Mary!" Fred was smiling at me.

"Hi Fred!" I was smiling like the dumb child I was. I didn't wave as to not seem like a total plonker.

"Mind if I grab a kip?" he chuckled before he plopped down in the grass next to me.

"Oh, am I that boring already?" I was already drawing the grounds.

"Quite the opposite actually," he winked as he pulled my drawing pad down so he could see what I was doing. "That is actually quite good," he started "you're a real ace at this art stuff."

"Thank you," I answered while making eye contact with him. He was staring right at me, which made me laugh.

"Gotcha!" he yelled. He started to tickle my ribs the moment I put down my pad.

"Stop! st.. op!" I could barely get a the word out.

"Oi. I'm sorry," he suddenly stopped.

I looked at him mighty confused.

"You're only 11, I forgot," he seemed really shy about it, as he pulled his hands away.

"12 now actually, turned back in December," I smiled.

"Oh that changes everything," he laughed. He didn't tickle me again though, as he knew I would see him coming this time. He just laid there, watching me draw. It was actually kind of nice. I decide to draw him again. This time he was ready, he posed and looked very, cute.

As I drew him, and the willow, my mind started to race a bit, "do I have a crush on an older boy?! Do I LIKE him?" so many things to sort out during summer. Luckily, or unluckily, summer wasn't for a few more months.

During those few months, Fred Weasley and I  became very close. We would spend much of our time together, if I wasn't with Luna, I was with Fred. It was weird, but not.

One day, as I was watching him playing around with Ron in the clocktower courtyard, George came up to me.

"Ello Mary!" he waved.

"Hi George," I replied.

"Y'know," he smirked, "Ol Freddie boy is fixing to ask ya to be his girl once ya turn 13."

I choked on the pumpkin juice I was drinking.
"He.. what?!" I exclaimed, coughing down the juice.

"Yup.." he looked concerned for my coughing fit, "unless a'course you don' want him to, I figured you're too good for him.."

I interrupted him, "actually, I do like Fred, very much.." this was the first time I said it out loud.

"SPLENDID!" he shouted. Fred heard him, and ran over to punch him before winking at me and running back to Ron.

"I turn 13 on 2nd December this year.. not that he needs to count down or anything," I said putting my head in my hand. Luna was next to me, listening to the whole thing, laughing her arse off. "Shush!" I whispered to her.

"2nd, December. Got it." he said with a wink.

Soon after, Fred came jogging over to me. Luna got up and left, "I'll see you for dinner. I'll save you some pudding," she said before skipping away.

"Hi Fred."

"Hi Mary," he was more shy than usual. "Sorry about George, he's a bit of a tosser sometimes."

"It's okay. He actually gave me some very good news," I said with an impish smile.

"Oi? Is that right?" he asked as his face lit up.

"Yep, I'll see you at dinner Fred!" I brushed his arm as I walked past him into the castle.

I partially turned around, and saw him jumping.. I smiled the biggest smile I had in months, and went to meet Luna for dinner. That darn boy with the red hair.