Epilogue: Part 12

"I dunno... I'm feeling dodgy about the wedding. It's just odd. She went to the ball with you, then only two years after you died, she's marrying your brother after they were on and off. Dodgy..."

"Mary," he chuckled. "This is about more that isn't it?"

"What? How'dya mean Freddie?"

"It's about Georgie." He was smirking.

"Well yes.."

"How you've started to love him?" He smiled, and I immediately broke eye contact. "Why does everyone keep saying that?! I don'..."

"Mary.." he chuckled again. "Look at me."

I did. "It's to soon Freddie! It's too soon.." I was crying.

"Mary love... it's been two years. And you promised anyway," he winked. "But too soon for you.. or for me?" He was more serious now.

"You, Freddie..."

He interrupted, "love, he told me end of last year that he was fallin' for you! Was worried what I'd think too." He was chuckling, "who else would I wan' taking care of my best girl the rest of her life, than Georgie.. my best mate?"

I didn't say anything for a few seconds. "I don' wan you to think he and I planned this or something.. or that it's too soon.. or that it wasn't always you.."

"Ha! What kinda person D'ya think I am love? I know how much you loved me! Ya kidding?? It's been two years... and you're around him everyday.."

"Well, he's married to someone else, so it doesn't matter." I cleared my throat. "Erm.. why didn't he tell me?"

"He didn't think you felt the same.."

"Well it doesn't matter." I sniffed. "I'm sorry, Freddie... I didn mean for it to happen." I felt almost ashamed.

"Mary.. can ya look at me?" I looked at the portrait again. "It's okay. You promised to try.."

"Yeah.. TRY! I didn' think it would happen already. Sorry." I clapped my hands behind my back.

"It's okay! I love you... and will forever. But I'm dead." He laughed. "Just a portrait now love."

"I'm sorry..." I wished more than anything I could hug him. "I wish I could hug you, my Freddie.... I didn't expect for it to be Georgie."

"Stop it! Mary Emilia, you deserve happiness."

I was able to smile slightly, as I tried to forget about my feelings for George. "I love you Fred.... always will."

"Same darling, now go be happy dammit! It. Is. Okay..... promise."

I sniffed away tears before smiling at Fred.