Chapter 10: New Year, New Fears

It was my third year at Hogwarts. Fred and I had been an official couple for almost a full year now. Everyone knew it, and I actually liked this kind of attention.

Every time he could, he would catch up to me, and grab my hand, and swing it as we walked down the hallway.

Ginny always asked me what I saw in Freddie, I wondered the same about Harry.

"Why FRED?!" she asked with a disgusted face one afternoon at dinner in late September.

"Why HARY?" I whispered with the same amount of disgust.

"He's wonderful. Handsome, charming, smart," she started. "But don't tell him!"

"So is FRED. Whether or not he's your brother!" I interrupted her.

"But, ew!" she laughed. I rolled my eyes and took a bite of my sandwich. Just then, Fred and George approached me, looking rather serious.

"Mary, come with us please." said George.

"Oh, Merlin. What for?" I asked with a laugh. I learned quickly that the twins were often very dramatic with.. well everything.

"You'll see," they answered in unison.

It was dark out; I hated the dark. Fred was holding my hand, which always made me feel safe.

They told me to close my eyes.

"Where are you boys taking me?" I asked suspiciously.

"Trust me, darling. You'll love it." Fred said.
I trusted him with my life already.

"Okay, almost there. Keep your eyes closed," George added.

"They are."

Fred was still holding my hand. "Okay, open them love!"

I heard 'lumos' being cast. There, at the edge of the forest stood... my MOTHER! "MUM!" I cried out as I ran into her outstretched arms.

"How are you sweetheart?" she asked with her gentle voice.

"I'm fine.. but, how? When?" I was so confused.

"Them," she pointed toward the twins. I turned around.

"What? Won't you be in trouble?" I asked with a concerned voice and tears in my eyes.

"Not at all love, cleared it with the big guy. Dumbledor knows," they both said.

"He does?" I replied.

They both shook their heads. I briefly left my mother to hug the boys; George was sure not hug too long.

This was the fist time I kissed Fred, I mean really kissed him, it was on the lips. I didn't even care.

"You're the light of my days, Fred Weasley,"
I said into his ear.

He kissed my forehead, "I know. We'll let you two have a moment. I'll wait for you up there, love."

"Mum," I started. "What the bloody hell is going on with you?"

"It's complicated," she was stroking my hair. "You cut it. Molly?" she added. It used to hit below my shoulders, now it barely touched them. I loved it.

"Yes ma'am, Mrs. Weasley cut it while I was there over the summer. D'ya like it?" I still wanted her approval.

"Very much!" she said. "Tell Molly and Arthur I say hello, and 'thank you' when you see them next."

"I'm not sure when that will be, but I will mum," I said.

"About that," she took me in her arms. She looked at me with sad eyes.