Epilogue: Part 1

50 people died on 2 May 1998. We call them 'The Fallen Fifty'. We lost friends and lovers.

Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Colin Creevy, Lavender Brown, and Fred were the others we lost.

Frederick Weasley was 20 years old when he died defending Hogwarts from the forces of Voldemort and the Death Easters. He died on 2 May, 1998. He was the love of my life. He was my heart and my soul. He was killed by Augustus Rookwood, Death Eater, at the Battle of Hogwarts. He died a hero, and as the bravest man I've ever known.

Fred's funeral was held on 12 May, 1998. 10 days after he died. I was staying with the Weasley's this entire time. They had been incomprehensibly kind by offering to hold my mums funeral at the burrow too. Her funeral was a few days before Fred's, 6 May. It was only me, them, Luna, the girls, Neville, and Seamus.

My worthless piece of rubbish father didn't even show up to the "love of his life's" funeral. Fuck him. I legally went to my mums surname after that: Milwood. Mary Emilia Milwood. I am forever in debt to the Weasley's for everything.

I spoke at Fred's funeral. It was the hardest speech I've ever given in my life:
"Those of you that don' know me. I'm Mary Fudge.. Milwood rather. I am...was, Fred's girlfriend for five years... he was the love of my life, and I am completely broken by this. He did NOT deserve to die. At all. He left me, his family, friends, and most importantly.. he left his forever best friend, George. His literal other half. This thought breaks me everyday," I cried at this point. "George and Fred.. twins, obviously the closest two people can be. I was always with them. I called them 'my twins'. If they weren't with me, people asked what was wrong, and vice versa. We did everything together— the amount of times Georgie snuck me in and out of Gryffindor is bloody crazy.. sorry Mum Weasley (she insisted I call her this after mums funeral and we lost Fred)." I winked. I cleared my throat as I began again, "George is my brother, my best friend.. I would NOT be here today without him. Fred saved my life in school, and George has saved it out of school. They mean the world to me... and now that 'we' is 'me,' my heart aches with pain. BUT if I know Freddie, and I certainly did," I chuckled a bit. "He would not want us sulking about! He'd want us to keep going and be happy... I know it's hard, and it hurts. But I'm going to try, for Fred. And if I can do it, you lot can too. I love you Freddie," I finished as I blew a kiss toward his casket. I broke down as I sat back down next to George and shoved my face into his shoulder.

"Mary," he whispered as he lifted my chin up.

"Georgie?" I asked confusedly. The ceremony was almost over, as people were crying and talking amongst themselves.

"Fred.. he uh.. was plannin' to give this to you, and I thought he woulda wanted you to still have it." He said as he cleared his throat.

"Okay.." I said as I took a tiny box from George's large hand.

"No...." The tears formed. In the box, was a gold ring. In the center was a forest green diamond surrounded by 9 little hazel diamonds. I paused as I gazed down at the beautiful ring. A single tear fell down my left cheek.

"Is this.." I paused. "An engagement ring?"

He shook his head 'yes.' The pain I felt the night he died returned to me as I grabbed Georgie's hand.

"Dammit... and when?"

"Erm.. your 19th birthday.." he picked up my left hand and kissed it.

"This year?! No..." I broke.

"D'ya wan' me to take it back?" He asked kissing my hand again.

I held the box in my other hand. "No, Georgie.." I wriggled in my seat so I could lean up and kiss his cheek. "My Yule Ball dress color, and 9 diamonds... 9 Weasley's?" I asked as I smiled at the wonderful meaning.

He shook his head in acknowledgement. I put it on my right hand and smiled. I kissed his cheek again, and leaned my head on his shoulder as he ran his fingers through my hair.

Mr. Weasley got up unexpectedly and started to address the crowd. He looked at me, "Mary. The Mrs. and I want to take this time to thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. We love you. And Fred loved you, I think more than you even realize. And the way you loved him... Molly and I are incredibly blessed that you two found each other and that you loved him so fiercely."

I was a blubbering mess, crying into George while Molly held my hand and caressed my fingers.

"Please remember Mary. You are our family. Our home is your home, always." He was choking down tears as he finished up, and walked toward me. I stood up and fell into his hug. He sat down at the end of the bench the rest of Weasley's + significant others were on.

I switched over to hug mum Weasley, who echoed her husbands words. "You don't need to call first Mary dear. If you need the burrow, come to the burrow." She grabbed my chin, "I mean it." She paused for a moment, "I would've loved to have you as my daughter.. well, I suppose you still are, but y'know what I mean! If you need us, come!" She kissed my forehead and let me lean back into George.

"What would you've said?" Georgie asked after a moment.

"You're joking?!" I slapped his chest with my hand. I looked at him and he winked. "Fred woulda hit you too!" I said. "But woulda laughed..."

The funeral ended and everyone dispersed. George and I were saying goodbyes to people near the back of the cemetery, when I noticed a man standing near the grave. He was wearing all back, and had blonde hair. I knew who it was. I let go of George's hand and walked towards Fred's grave.

"Draco.." I put my hand on his shoulder.

He jumped. "Blimey! Uh... Mary." He was stuttering and rubbing the back of his head.

"Didn' mean to scare you."

"Erm.. yeah, I just wanteda come... to yeah, no bloody reason actually, Fudge!"

"Draco..."

He looked down at Fred's grave and then at me. "Don' tell anyone, but I've always found the bloody Weasley twins kinda funny.." he cleared his throat. "I'm sorry.... he shouldn'ta died and erm, well.. my family.."

"Thanks for coming Draco." I looked over and George was waiting for me, I shot my finger up '1 minute'!

"I'm sorry..." he said a final time. I reached out and hugged him, and he actually responded with one back.

I let go of our embrace, and knelt down by Freddie's grave for a few seconds. His headstone read: 'Frederick Weasley, 1 April 1978 - 2 May 1998. Loving twin, brother, son, boyfriend, and fierce friend. Mischief Managed.' George was going to be in the spot next to him, when it was time.. 100 years from now.

I walked back to George. "Malfoy?!" George asked confused

"Yes.. he said he was sorry.." he was still standing at the grave, he had one hand on his headstone.

"Really?" He asked.

"Mhmm.." we watched as Draco walked away with his head down.

"Ready Mar?" He asked as he rubbed my back.
"Lunch?"

I sniffed before I answered, "yeah.. let's go." I smiled gently as we headed for the burrow.