Chapter 9: Fred

Second year was in full swing. Fred and I had been flirting more and more. Getting closer everyday. Luna and I were becoming even better friends. She knew everything about the developing Fred situation, and got me all but addicted to pudding. I was also getting closer to Ginny Weasley.

I couldn't help but almost constantly think about what George said to me last year; Fred was planning to ask me to be his girl when I turned 13. I figured it was because then we'd both be 'teenagers,' and it wouldn't be as 'weird' to other people; Fred knew I wasn't too keen on people talking about me; made my nerves shot. He was great at reading me. He was great at hugs too. Hell, he was great at a lot of things.

It was after Thanksgiving, meaning my birthday was near. Fred was outside of the Ravenclaw common room, waiting to walk to me to class, as he now did. "You look splendid this morning, love," he smiled.

"Thanks dear," I replied. The pet names already started. He let slip a few "dears" over the summer and to make him feel better I would follow suit.

I fancied him quite a lot at this point. 

"What class is first again love?" he asked.

"Herbology, Freddie!"

"Ah right. Shall we go?"

"Yes," I smiled.

After a long day of classes, and having to rush around to meet Fred as to not make him late for his classes, we settled down in the courtyard. This was quickly becoming our favorite spot.

It was awfully cold, as it was December,
1st December to be the exact. My 13th birthday was tomorrow. Fred knew it too. He was more awkward the last few days, and I could only assume it was because he was nervous of what day was coming up. I never expected him to ask me on exactly my 13th birthday, but it appeared that that is exactly what he intended to do.

The next day, Luna had decorated our room with sparkles & balloons that she had conjured. It was a Saturday, so it was nice to be able to enjoy the time off.

She handed me a letter that came by owl from my mum. It was a lovely letter that expressed how much she had missed me over the summer, but also informing me that she didn't know if I would be able to come home for Christmas. Not a great way to start my birthday.

Noticing my change in demeanor, Luna and the girls began to sing a lovely rendition of "happy birthday!" They then gave me a smashing scarf that they found in Hogsmeade (they actually had asked one of the 4th years to get it for them as students aren't allowed to go until 3rd year).

"D'ya like it?!" Meredith and Elizabeth asked excitedly.

"Yes, very much!" replied, wrapping it around me. It was a lovely shade of blue, my favorite color.

They all looked suspiciously at each other.

"Alright you lot, spill it!" I demand.

Laughing, Luna replied "we have an even better present for you Mary!"

"Oh..?" I asked, "oh! Is it happening?!" It took me a minute to realize.

"We're not going to tell you!" exclaimed Elizabeth.

Meredith was all but jumping up and down, "go outside now!"

"Okay.." I said, knowing what my other present was, but trying to hide how nervous I was.

As I walked slowly, but with some pep, across the bridge that led from the Ravenclaw common room, I saw him. Fred was standing at opening to the hallway. He looked more nervous than I'd ever seen him.

"Happy birthday, Mary!" he said rather excitedly.

"Thank you very much, Freddie!" I replied.

"Do ya feel any older?"

"Hmm.. not too much. I know I'm a teenager, so that feels different," I said with a nervous laugh.

"Yeah, I reckon it does," he smiled back.

There was a slight pause. He looked behind him and saw my girls looking at us, and when they noticed him, they ducked behind a wall.

"Sorry," I said.

"No worries love," he paused. "So today's the day..."

"Yup, I'm 13. Weird still being a 2nd year, but it's al'right."

"Ha, I'm sure it's weird.." he started playing with his pockets.

"Is there something you wanted Freddie?" I asked.

"Uh, yes.." he said. "I was wondering..." he continued. I smiled at him, trying to make him less nervous.

"By my girlfriend?" he blurted out.

I paused for a second as he gathered himself.

"Yes Fred!" I replied enthusiastically.

"Really?" he seemed shocked!

"Yes, course! I fancy you a lot Freddie. I didn't expect you to ask my right today, but I'm very happy. Wonderful birthday!"

He grabbed me, and hugged me tight. "I like you very much, Mary!" he said with his chin on my head.

Behind us, I could hear my friends crying and clapping. I didn't turn around, just walked away with Fred's arm looped around my neck.
It was pure bliss.