chapter 14

after teaching the boys the basics you hit the water. you paddle out. you sit on your board when you get most of the way out.

A | make sure your wrist band is connected and stand up.

you and maggie stand up as you watch payton and dylan slip off into the water. you laugh as their heads plop out of the water. you and maggie are laughing.

P | don't make fun of me.

he grabs the bottom of your board and pushes it causing you to stumble.

A | nice try.

P | you're really good.

A | i know.

payton tries to get back on his board. he's struggling. you hop into the water to help him.

P | what are you doing?

A | helping you. you noob.

P | i don't need help.

A | yes you do.

you swim to the other side of the board. you reach your hands over.

A | here grab my hands and i'm help you back up.

P | alright. you pull him onto his board.

A | now you got to get up on your own.

you get on your board and the first wave comes and you blow the boys away with you surfing skills. after about 45 minutes to an hour the boys are getting the hang of it but you're all pretty tired. you swim back to the land and lay under the tree. your sitting in a circle.

M | so audrey. how does it feel to have payton around.

you smile.

A | it's great.

P | seriously?

A | yeah.

he laughs.

D | i'm a little hungry.

A | let's go grab food at the sidebar.

M | i'm down.

you all walk into town and make it to the sidebar.

P | where do we put the boards.

A | right here?

P | just- like...okay.

you set your boards outside and throw on your shorts. you all walk inside and sit down. payton sits next to you. you are all taking as payton reaches for your hand under the table. you look over at him and he pulls his hand back. he looks away. you smile and grab his hand. they're so warm. don't fall for him audrey. you know what happened last time. he's doing the same thing. just because it's all fun and games now doesn't mean he won't hurt you later. your heart kind of sinks when you think about that. you let go of his hand.

A | i have to use the restroom.

M | okay?

you walk into the bathroom and close yourself in a stall. you start looking through photos of you and gabe. a tear rolls from your eye. that's just going to happen again. remember what we said. trust no one. it's not going to work. you cover your ears with your hands when someone walks in. you listen to the footsteps approach your stall.

M | audrey?

A | yes?

M | are you okay?

A | yeah. why?

M | is everything good with payton?

your heart sinks when you hear his name. you bury your face in your hands.

M | what is it?

A | i don't know mags.

M | is it gabe?

A | what if it happens again?

M | payton's different.

A | how do you know?

M | i don't. but you never know if you don't give it a try. you can't lock yourself away forever.

A | i could.

M | come on audrey. payton's out there waiting for you. for you. he flew all the way out here to meet you in person. to spend time with you. now you better get out of this bathroom and go show that boy who audrey little is.

you wipe your tears and walk out of the stall. maggie gives you a hug and you walk back to the table.

A | sorry.

M | sorry guys.

P | no, it's okay.

D | yeah, completely fine.

you sit back down next to payton. you look down at his hand that was unsure weather to take yours. you grab his hand and continue talking to the group.

things are turning up with payton. how do you feel?

Word Count: 680