chapter 64

you lay on the road looking up at the sky. the light of the headlights shines over you. you go to prop yourself up and a wave of pain rushes over you. you groan almost scream in pain. you hear someone yell something that sounds like your name. you hear sirens in the distance.

?? | audrey!!

you feel someone touch your hair. you see their mouth moving but you don't hear anything you see more men appear. they look to be talking but you don't hear anything. you try and shake your head then everything goes dark.

you wake up on the beach. the sun's rising. payton's there with you too. you look back at him staring out over the water. he puts his arm around you. you lean back into his chest. no one else is anywhere close to you. the warmth of the sand and his chest make you feel warm inside and out.

P | audrey there's something i've been meaning to tell you.

you look back at him. his hair is fluffy as the early morning sun makes it look almost blonde.

P | i could spend every morning like this. here. i couldn't imagine my life without you in it. you've changed my entire life. i couldn't imagine my life with anyone else. i couldn't imagine not having that bond with your brother. or not walking in your front door and see your mom smiling at me and showing me what she made for dinner. i couldn't imagine not walking up to your room to see that you were still asleep and cuddle up next to you. i couldn't imagine my life without any of that. and i just- i love you audrey.

A | i love you too payton.

P | if only this were real.

A | what?

suddenly you feel yourself slipping away you see the world grow darker and see his smile fade. before you know it colors start to appear again. you're in a small town by the beach again. you recognize it but you don't know where. you browse little shops with knick knacks in them. this was one of your favorite things to do. you walk past a big tacky surf shop with a huge bear in the window wearing a cheesy shirt and sunglasses. you walk in to see bryce dressed in a buttoned down hawiian shirt and cargo shorts with a straw hat and sunglasses.

B | heyyy audrey! i think this is your first time stopping by. what's up?

A | hey! i was looking around all the little shops. they're so cute.

B | you've been through here hundreds of times and you still look through the shops.

A | where are we?

B | audrey, we're in your head?

A | what?

B | we're all in your head.

you look around at all the merchandise and it all feels like it's looking at you.

A | no but you're here. see i can touch you.

B | that's doesn't mean anything. i could imagine anything i want when it's going on inside my head.

his voice becomes morphed and deep before drifting off into darkness again to be woken up in a feild of flowers. you pick one and smell it. you keep walking when you come across a wood swing. a girl sits on it facing the other direction. you can hear her humming a song. you walk over to her before she notices you. it's amber.

Am | audrey? how did you find me here?

A | i don't know i just... ended up here.

Am | well, if you're here i might as well tell you. this is where i go to get my mind off of stuff. to float away into eternal peace.

A | that sounds amazing!

Am | not if you're here alone.

A | luckily you're not here alone anymore

you joke. but there's no response. you turn around and amber's gone. the flowers have wilted and the swing looks worn and is still moving a bit. you look back at the other half of the feild and they'd wilted as well. you hear the sirens again. what does it mean? you see a nearby road that wasn't there before you run toward the road through all the dead flowers. you see maggie standing in the middle of the road. in her hair was the only flower in the field that hadn't wilted yet.

A | maggie i'm so excited to see you. you don't even understand.

she smiles at you. but somehow the smile doesn't look like hers.

A | maggie.

she still doesn't say anything.

A | maggie?

M | why didn't you save me?

A | what? what do you mean?

M | you just let me lay there.

A | lay where? maggie what are you talking about.

M | out in the field. it was cold out you know.

A | what? i don't-

M | i heard the sirens too.

you step onto the road.

A | you heard the sirens? what sirens?

M | what happened? you all left.

you're speechless.

A | maggie i don't know what you're talking about?

M | yeah you do. on the road. i heard the sirens i heard-

just then you see headlights light up the road. a car trailing behind it. it coming really fast.

A | MAGGIE CAR-

it crashes into her. she's launched into the air. you scream. at the car. at yourself. for maggie. you're a complete mess. you bawl in the middle of the road when you hear a voice.

?? | audrey. come on stay with me please.

the world fades out. you're scared to open your eyes again. you can't do it. when will this all end. you open your eyes once more and you're in a hospital bed. you look around. no one's in there. someone walks by the door and sees you're awake.

?? | chris, your patient in C67 is awake.

the girl walks in.

?? | hello... audrey. can you hear me.

you open your mouth to speak and complete nonsense comes out. that's when another guy walks into the room.

??? | okay ava. i'll take it from here.

?? | okay.

??? | audrey! i'm chris. i'm your nurse so i'll just be checking up and making sure everything is going smoothly.

you nod.

what happened?

Word Count: 997