chapter 66

the doctors tell you you should get some sleep but that weird dream you had is all you're thinking about. you can't eat. you can't sleep. you look at the time.

9:45

it's been 18 hours since they found maggie and the doctors haven't said anything. chris finally checks back in after going home for the night.

chris | audrey! how've you been!

A | shit.

chris | well i'm hoping i can turn that around because.... we're getting you up and onto crutches today.

A | great.

you say sarcastically.

chris | tammy, our physical therapist is going to be in here with crutches and a few more nurses will help you.

you don't respond. he checks your vitals.

A | is she okay?

chris | payton is getting released right now. amber will probably be out later today. but you missy.

he says while injecting your new dose of pain meds into your IV.

chris | you have little longer.

he gives you a smile.

A | and maggie?

chris | i don't know yet. um

A | can you just cut the bullshit and tell me.

chris | i.. just told you. i'm not sure.

A | this place is fucked.

you throw your arms up and look out the window. chris is silent.

chris | hey! do you want me to grab you something from the cafeteria?

you ignore him.

chris | well, mark told me you haven't been eating. so what do you want?

A | payton. can you bring him in?

chris | nope. not until you eat something.

A | that's so fucking stupid.

chris | you're not allowed visitors until you eat.

you scoff.

A | i don't want anything. now go.

chris | i'll bring you options.

you roll your eyes. you open instagram to see all of the nice posts about you from friends and family and fans. telling you all to get better and you tear up. you like posts and tears run down you face as chris walks back in. you quickly wipe your tears and put down your phone.

chris | i brought you a blueberry muffin, orange juice, a protein bar, and an egg wrap. pick your choose.

you glare at him.

A | i'll take the egg wrap.

chris | good choice!

he hands it to you and opens up the protein bar, taking a bite. you do so as well. you have a conversation with chris about his life outside of the hospital. he used to compete in the surf competition too when he was younger.

chris | i got told i was built like a totem pole.

you burst out laughing. chris wasn't actually that bad. he's actually really nice.

chris | i still think about it to this day.

A | thats brutal.

chris | seriously!

A | why'd you become a doctor?

chris | a nurse. but when i was a senior my only goal was to be a professional surfer but i ended up getting really hurt and it wasn't an option for me anymore. so, i became a nurse to help people.

A | that's cool.

a couple of people walk in...it's time to walk. they talk to you and explain to you the importance of mobility. you sit up with you feet hanging. they slowing lower you onto the crutches. it's a long stressful process but soon payton comes in a cheers you on. you go so good after that. while you're up payton gives you the biggest hug.

P | good job.

A | thank you. you're not looking too bad yourself.

Am | audrey?

A | AMBER?!

you crutch over to her she gives you a hug too. she has a broken arm and a wrap on her head.

A | what are you doing?

Am | i'm heading home. my mom is worried sick.

that's when you see both of maggie's parents talking to doctors. they're hysterical. chris is standing close to them. he looks back and sees the three of you staring. he doesn't smile back like normal. he just looks back at the conversation. you knew something wasn't good. a few seconds later chris starts waking over.

A | is everything okay.

chris | um, let's get you sat back down.

A | chris answer my damn question. you've been avoiding it all day. don't fucking pity me. i don't care what condition i'm in i deserve to know what the fuck is going on with her. if she's not doing good tell me. it's better now than later, now spit it out.

chris | i'll answer your questions when we get you back in bed.

you glare at him as your make your way back over.

Am | what is it?

he looks down at his clipboard.

chris | she passed away during surgery.

maggie?

Word Count: 688