chapter 16

you sit by the beach talking.

M | how about me and dylan walk into town and grab some food for us all and we'll give you two some time to catch up.

D | yeah. i'm down with that.

A | we can go with you.

M | NO! stay here.

you laugh.

A | okay.

you put your hands up. they walk off. you lay your head on payton's shoulder.

P | i'm so happy i'm here with you.

A | me too.

P | honestly, it was great over the phone but like in person. getting to see your cute little face.

he says while squishing your cheeks. you smile.

A | it really is great.

you go silent again.

A | payton.

P | yes audrey.

A | can i tell you something.

he turns his head away from the sunset to look at you.

P | anything.

A | before i was with you i was in a really bad relationship. of course we had our good days but the relationship beat me up, mentally. i put so much trust in this boy i never thought i would date ever again.

he puts his hand on your back.

P | i'm so sorry aug.

he kisses your forehead. a small smile grows on your face.

A | can you promise me you aren't like that.

his expression drops.

A | i'm sorry. i don't mean it like that. i just- i don't know. i feel like, yeah mags said you were different but-

P | no. no audrey. never. never in a million years. i wouldn't ever try to hurt you or do anything that i think would hurt you. you mean so much to me audrey. like, i don't even know how to explain it. i've never felt so strongly for anyone on my life.

you smile at him and a tear falls from your eye.

P | don't cry, aug.

you wrap your arms around his neck for a hug. he hugs you back. as your leaving the hug you make eye contact. payton puts his hand on the back of your head as you both lean in for a kiss. your lips meet and you get this fuzzy feeling inside. you feel safe. like nothing can touch you. all your fears and everything are gone in that moment. you run your fingers through payton's hair. he pulls away and looks at you.

P | i'm sorry. i-

A | don't be.

he smiles.

A | i know your wouldn't hurt me payton. i'm so glad you came out to see me.

P | i'm glad i'm here.

he lays you down in his lap. he plays with your hair as you talk. watching the sunset.

M & D | AWEEE

M | how freaking cute.

dylan slaps the back of payton's head.

D | what level of simping is this my boy?

P | shut up dylan.

dylan laughs as him and maggie sit on the other side of payton. you sit up. payton gives you a sad look. you smile at him and squeeze his cheeks. he passes you your food. you are eating when you see his drink sitting between his legs. you grab it and take a sip.

P | that's mine!

he takes it from you. you laugh.

A | i was just trying it. checking it for poison.

P | if it had poison in it i'd already be dead.

you both laugh. his smile completes you.

D | anyways. how's it going in single town.

dylan says to maggie.

M | reporting live. i'm currently looking at the best couple of this year.

D | are you getting simp vibes as well maggie?

M | just a little bit.

they are talking like news reporters. you rolls your eyes.

P | cut it out you guys.

A | were not even dating.

D | you pretty much are.

M | they haven't even kissed dylan.

you and payton try to hold back your smirks.

M | AUDREY!!

D | my boy bruh.

you start laughing.

M | oh we're going to have a talk tonight missy.

you giggle while grasping payton's hands. he squeezes yours back. you finish your dinner by the sunset.

wow dylan and maggie are getting along pretty well.

Word Count: 688