chapter 4

you have a good lunch and adventure around town then school gets out and amber and maggie are going to hang out with bryce. you decide to skip out because payton asked if you wanted to facetime.

A | bye girls. i'll talk to you tonight.

Am | will do.

M | bye audrey!

you walk home and walk by this guy. he looked your age but you didn't recognize him. he was talking to someone on the phone. you ignored it and kept on your way home. you walk inside and see your dad and mom in the kitchen talking. they look at you when you walk in. you suspiciously look around.

A | hey?

dad | where were you?

A | school.

he raises his eyebrows.

A | what?

dad | are you telling me the truth.

A | yeah.

dad | audrey.

A | fine, i was with amber and maggie.

dad | why?

A | my first period teacher was telling me i couldn't wear this to school and sent us to detention.

dad | what does that have to do with maggie or amber?

A | maggie got sent too.

dad | where are they?

A | ambers? why are you asking so many questions?

dad | you have to do school. you're literally a junior and already are skipping school. just accept the consequences for your actions.

A | okay, fine, i'm sorry.

you begin walking up the stairs.

dad | audrey, come back.

A | i'm okay.

you lock the door to your room. ugh. you sit there and look at your ceiling. your phone buzzes. you look over. it's a snapchat from payton. you open in.

Payton
hey, you still down to facetime?

Audrey
idk if i'm feeling it anymore, sorry.

Payton
awe, why not?

Audrey
my parents, just, being parents.

Payton
come on, i bet i can cheer you up.

you catch yourself smiling at your phone. you immediately go back stone faced and text back.

Audrey
ugh, fine.
i'll call you rn.

you call him and tell a voice picks up on the other line. it sends chills down your spine.

*over the phone*

payton (P) | hello?

A | hey! it's audrey.

P | *laughs* hey audrey! it's payton.

A | figured.

P | here, facetime me.

he sends a facetime request through. you accept and set up your phone. he smiles.

P | wow, you're really pretty.

his smiles. ADORABLE.

A | thank you.

his hair is done and he has a hoodie on.

A | sorry, my hair's a little messy, i was just down by the beach.