chapter 39

P | i got to keep it on.

you nod.

P | i think i'm going to be releasing love letter in the next month or so.

A | really!!

P | yeah. my team and i got everything in order.

A | that's awesome! i'm so proud of you.

P | thank you.

you smile.

A | did you get your ticket out here?

P | not yet. i was working on-

A | i'm messing around. it's okay.

you lay on your bed talking to payton.

P | why'd you start drinking?

A | what?

P | sorry. sorry i shouldn't-

A | no it's okay. umm, originally because i thought it made me cool back in middle school.

P | typical.

A | right.

you both laugh.

A | then it just started becoming an escape from my family, my stress, school, problems, sadness, everything. i used to be down there every night. blacking the fuck out.

P | what stopped you?

you pause. your heart starts beating fast.

P | audrey?

A | sorry, what?

P | i asked why you stopped.

A | oh. i don't know.

P | oh....

A | i actually have to go do the dishes.

P | okay? i'll talk to you later.

A | bye.

you hang up quickly. your breathing starts getting really heavy. you kind of feel a headache setting in. then, there's a knock at your door. you look up.

mom | night audrey.

dad | goodnight.

A | night.

he closes the door behind him before walking to his room. you bury your face back in your hands. tears run down your face. you lay there for who knows how long before your door starts creaking open followed by tiny footsteps.

B | audrey?

A | yeah brady?

B | are you okay?

A | i'm okay.

you sit up. he looks at you. he climbs up on your bed and hugs you from the side.

B | don't be sad audrey.

A | i'm not sad. i'm just having some sad thoughts right now. it's okay.

he keeps hugging you.

A | why'd you come in here?

B | to ask if you could get me orange juice. i can't reach it.

you laugh at him before picking him up and carrying him downstairs. of course, you pour brady his orange juice.

A | okay. you take that upstairs and get to bed soon. it's late.

B | okay. thank you augy.

A | no problem.

you turn around to put the orange juice back when you see a bottle in the fridge and take it out.

irish whiskey

you open the cap and smell it. you shake your head and pour a glass. you water the bottle down making it so it doesn't look like you took any before placing it back in the fridge. you take a long sip and lay your head on the table. after about 30 minutes of sitting in your thoughts you decide to sneak out. this is the outfit you put on.

you hop out your back window and walk down to the beach

austin | audrey? the hell?

A | what?

austin | nothing, i like your outfit. do you want a drink?

A | if i could.

he takes you back and you pour another glass of whiskey. you party like there's no tomorrow. the sun starts to rise and you decide to walk home. stumbling you make it to your street. brady opens the back door for you and you barley make it to your bed before passing out. you're woken up the next morning to dishes being thrown around in the kitchen. you groan and look at the time it's 4pm.

A | shit!

you run to the bathroom and splash your face with water. you throw on jean shorts and a cropped top with your hair quickly braided back. you fly out the door and grab a croissant on the way to the shop. you walk in the front door.

A | hey, bryce. sorry i'm late i was...

B | partying until sunrise?

A | what? no.

B | i'm friends with austin.

A | yeah...

B | i was expecting that. but i put your name in the checker at 3.

A | so i have to work until 10 with you.

B | you owe it to me.

A | right.

you start stocking the place. it's pretty silent. very different from yesterday.

B | why were you out last night?

A | what are you? my dad?

B | i was just wondering. it's not like you.

A | you don't know me.

B | you're acting different today too. is everything okay?

A | yeah? why are you interrogating me?

B | i'm just asking if you're okay.

A | i said i was fine.

people start coming in. bryce has you unloading a truck as he checks people out. as you're unpacking the truck the back door opens. it's bryce and another girl.

B | audrey.

A | yeah.

B | this is Kamryn

Kamryn (K) | hey!

she reaches out her hand and you shake it.

B | she's going to help unload.

A | great.

he looks around for a minute before waving and closing the door. you and kamryn unload the truck.

K | are you new?

A | uh, yeah. i got hired yesterday.

K | cool. i've been working here for 3 months.

A | awesome.

K | aren't you a junior?

A | yeah.

K | cool. i remember you from party's.

A | oh. what grade are you in.

K | i'm a freshman.

.....

Word Count: 883