chapter 8

payton mutes himself as you slowly turn Brady's door knob. the door opens quietly. he's sleeping. you tip toe in and start looking around his nightstand. you open the top drawer and it's not there.

B | audrey?

you look over at him.

A | hey buddy!

B | what are you doing in here?

A | i need the key to my room. i was locked out.

B | oh. here.

he pulls it out from under his pillow.

A | why do you keep it there?

you laugh.

B | so mom doesn't come in here and get it. you said not to let the parents get it.

you smile.

A | right. thank you. i'll bring it right back.

B | okay.

you kiss him on the forehead and walk back to your room and unlock the door. when it's unlocked you give his key back and tell him goodnight. you close your door again behind you and lock it. you flop down on the bed. he's just smiling at you.

A | what are you smiling at?

P | you.

you roll your eyes.

P | what?

he laughs.

A | nothing.

you lay the phone on your bed so you can change.

P | i don't want to see your ceiling.

A | hold on i have to change.

P | ugh.

you finish changing into a sports bra and nike pros. you set your phone back up. he smiles.

P | hey!

A | hey payt, i mean- payton.

P | no i like that, aug.

A/N | aug is pronounced (ah-juh) not (ah-guh) and is short for audrey. maggie and amber call her that sometimes too🤍

A | okay *smiles*

you make your bed and lay your head on your pillow with your phone propped up on your nightstand. payton takes a facetime photo.

A | hey!

P | what? you looked cute.

you take a photo of him laying down too. he smiles like a fool. you talk to each other when payton falls asleep. you mute yourself and catch yourself smiling at him. you fall asleep. soon you wake up to the sound of your phone buzzing. it's maggie. you decline and text her.

you swipe back to facetime

you swipe back to facetime. you lay there waiting for maggie. she texts you that she's here. you walk downstairs and open the door for her. she's DRUNK.

A | oh my goodness.

you grab her arm and lead her upstairs. she sits down on your bed. she starts shaking her head. you run her to your bathroom. you have emetophobia (fear of vomit/vomiting). you cover your nose while holding back her hair. you're almost crying. your mom comes rushing in.

mom | maggie?!

she switches places with you and you run out of the room. your mom knows about your emetophobia. you sit down in the hallway and cover your ears. sitting there you realize your trap phone is still on your nightstand. you slowly stand up. your mom and maggie are talking. you walk into your room and your mom walks out of the bathroom. you look over at her.

mom | what's wrong with her?

A | i don't know she came over like that.

mom | is she sick?

you shrug.

mom | i'm going to go make her soup.

A | oh- okay.

she said walks out. you walk over to your bed and see  payton still asleep. you walk to the bathroom just to see maggie laying against the wall with a grin on her face. you kneel next to her.

A | come on. let's get you changed and in bed.

you walk her back to your bed and help her put on different clothes. you lay her in your bed and she falls asleep quickly. you don't think you can fall asleep again after that. you sit on your couch looking out the window. you watch people walk on the beach as the sun begins to rise.

that night took a turn...

Word Count: 649