chapter 40

A | cool.

K | yeah.

there's a bit of silence

A | do you wanna get food with me after work?

she looks up at you a little confused.

K | i'm hanging out with my friends after work.

A | oh... oh sorry. that's fine.

K | yeah... sorry.

you finish up work and sit in your car. you watch as Kamryn and Bryce walk off. tears start streaming down your face.

A | you're so fucking stupid audrey. so. stupid. FUCK!

you scream. you turn on your phone for the first time since last night.

Maggie
sorry i've been so distant. i've actually been having an amazing time up here with my dad. can you facetime? if not that's okayy

Brady
are you coming home soon?

Payt🤍
i'm sorry if i said something wrong. i didn't mean it.
can you call me back?
audrey
where are you.
goodnight audrey
morning aug:) i hope you have a good day
*8 missed calls*

Amber
hey girly! you want to hangout today. i know you and bryce have work at noon.
*2 missed calls*

Bryce
where are you?
work started at 12
don't make me work all alone now audrey
i brought something for you.
*1 missed call*

you begin to cry harder.

A | you're such a fuck up audrey.

you slam your head against the steering wheel and just cry. there's a knock on your window. you jump and look over. it's bryce.

B | audrey. can i come in?

he says through the window. you unlock the car and wipe away your tears. he sits down.

B | what's going on with you?

you look at him and he hugs you from his seat. you hug him back and cry into his shoulder.

B | is there anything i can do?

A | no, bryce, it's fine. really. i just had a rough night.

B | you wanna talk about it?

A | not really.

you reply with a bit of attitude.

B | okay. that's fine. is- if you don't mind me asking. is it about payton.

you sniffle.

A | no. payton didn't do anything.

B | did you?

A | maybe. i don't know.

B | do you want me to get amber?

A | no. i'm really fine bryce i just need to go home.

B | are you sure?

A | yeah. thank you.

B | anytime. and hey, don't worry about work tomorrow.

A | alright.

he nods and closes the car door. you pull down your mirror and fix your makeup. you pull up to your house and stare at it. you can't go home. you put the car back in drive and just go. you drive around before making it to a parking lot to Publix. you park way in the back. you rest your head back on the steering wheel. your phone starts to ring. it's payton. you decline. then he starts blowing up your phone. you take off your makeup and put your phone on the dash.

A | hey siri, call payt.

siri | calling "payt white heart emoji"

your phone starts ringing. he picks up so quickly.

P | audrey?

A | hey.

P | i'm sorry. i- the questions i was asking last night might have been to personal. it's okay if you aren't ready for that. or if i'm moving to fast. i don't-

A | no, payton. you're okay.

he stops and looks up at you.

P | really?

A | yeah. i haven't been the best to you lately and i'm sorry.

P | audrey. you're fine. you didn't do anything. we're okay. i'm always here for you

you start to cry.

P | i just wanna give you a hug aug.

A | i miss you payton.

P | i'll see you soon i promise.

A | do you want to know the reason i stopped drinking.

P | if you're ready to tell me.

⚠️TW: SUICIDE AND SELF HARM⚠️

A | i was drunk all the time. i was never thinking straight. i distanced myself from my family and my brother. i got really depressed. i stopped eating. i drank and smoked. that was it. i was so mad at myself. i didn't want to be alive anymore. i couldn't feel anything. i would drink a fatal amount of alcohol and not feel a thing. nothing made me feel. the guy i was talking to fucked my best friend. at that moment i decided there was nothing left for me. so..... i tried to kill myself. my brother found me. on the floor of my bathroom. he didn't know what was going on. i was sent to a mental hospital for 6 months. when i came back i never went back to that. until i met amber she taught me i could drink safely and all that. amber saved my life. i don't know where i'd be without her.

P | i'm so glad you're here audrey. you have done so much for me. you've made me a better person by just being in my life. my mom keeps telling me how happy i seem and how i've been closer with her and my sister since i met you. who knew that adding you that day could change my life.

at this point you're bawling. payton's holding back his tears.

A | i have to get home.

P | no no no. i can't have you driving like this.

A | i'm fine.

you start the car.

P | audrey, please!

you stop.

P | do you want me to text someone?

A | i can make it back.

P | are you sure.

A | yes.

P | okay.

you drive a short way home and quickly walk up to your room closing the door behind you. you talk with payton until you pass out.

tough night?

Word Count: 937