chapter 38

you fall asleep on the phone with payton. the next morning you get ready for school and you have to hang up on payton since he isn't awake.

Audrey
good morning payton 😊 i'm heading into school. text me when you wake up.

you make a cinnamon roll and eat it in your walk to school. you're sitting in first period when announcements are going on.

P/A system: Good Morning Cocoa High! Happy Monday students and staff! today's lunch will be.... and finally, it's that time of year again, Juniors and Seniors can buy their prom tickets! they will be available outside of Mr.Benzo's room 426 and make sure to fill out the survey as well! Prom will be taking place at Cocoa Community Center on June 5th! if you have any other questions feel free to email promcomitteCH@chs.k12.fl.us! the deadline to buy tickets is next friday the 22nd! no acceptions. have a great day students!

your heart jumps. it's the first year you can go to prom. when the bell rings you run out of class to amber's locker.

A | Amber!!

Am | hey!

she knows exactly what you're excited about.

Am | i'm so excited!!

A | has bryce asked you to prom yet?

Am | not yet. but hopefully soon.

A | do you think he'll do something special.

Am | he better. Pinterest has raised the steaks.

you laugh.

Am | are you going to go with anyone?

A | idk. probably not.

Am | why not?

A | i can't go with payton. he lives too far.

Am | so what. ask him to fly out. all you have to do is fill out an extra form saying he's not from cocoa.

A | i wouldn't want to make him fly out here again.

Am | audrey this is PROM! it's not a little middle school dance. i bet payton will want to come anyways.

A | i want him to but-

Am | just ask him.

A | fine.

Am | okay. i'll see you after school.

A | see ya!

you finish up your school day. you're sitting in your car on the phone with payton when you get a call.

P | i literally have the video. it was-

A | hold on pay. someone's calling me.

P | who?

A | i'm not sure. hold on.

you answer the call.

A | hello?

??? | hello! is this audrey little?

A | it is. who is this?

??? | i'm zion. i own SanSun Surf Shop. you put in an application yesterday, correct?

A | i did, yes.

??? | awesome! well i was calling you to tell you, you got the job!

A | really?!

??? | yes! i'm going to need you to stop by the shop later tonight or tomorrow to get you all ready.

A | okay! yeah, thank you.

??? | okay. thanks so much.

you hang up the call and quickly call payton back.

P | he-

A | I GOT THE JOB!

P | congratulations!

A | i'm so excited!!

P | as you should be!

you're working on school at home. payton's working too. he looks adorable all focused.

A | hey payton.

P | yes aug

A | umm. so, it's my junior year which mean... it's my first year i can go to prom.

P | okayy....

A | and since ambers going to be with bryce and maggie will definitely find someone by that time. i was wondering if you'd want to go with me?

P | seriously!

A | yeah.

P | yes! that would be awesome!! does that mean i get to see you again!

A | it does.

P | YAY!!

A | it's on the 5th

P | of june?

A | yup.

P | yeah!! okay. i'll buy my ticket tonight.

A | omg i'm so excited.

the next day when you get out of school you head right over to the shop. the bell rings as you walk inside.

zion | welcome to SanSun Surf, is there anything i can help you find today?

he looks up.

zion | audrey! hey.

he knows you since this is where you've gotten all your surf gear... ever.

A | hey! you told me to stop by?

zion | right. since you know bryce i figured you'd want him to train you instead of some random kid.

A | oh it doesn't matter.

zion | he's coming in for his shift soon so if you want to pick it up with him you can.

A | okay!

zion | well i'm headed home. bryce should be here in just a second.

you wait behind the table when the bell rings. it's bryce.

A | hey!

B | audrey? what are you doing here?

A | i work here... obvi.

you say sarcastically.

B | seriously?! you got the job?

A | yeah. and guess who's training me?

B | fuck you.

you laugh. customers come in waves. when no ones there you help bryce stock. after a 6 hour shift you and bryce are ready to get up and out of here.

B | well, i'll see ya later audrey! tomorrow?

A | do you work tomorrow?

B | yeah?

A | you're training me? i have to be there.

B | then be ready for that 10 hour shift tomorrow.

A | ha! i can't work 10 hours yet i'm not 18

you stick your tongue out at him.

B | fuck you.

A | i'll be there for the first 8 brycey bear.

you joke. he rolls his eyes.

A | bye bryce!

A | bye.

you start your car and wait for it to warm up. you decide to ring payton since... when are you not on the phone.

A | hey pay.

P | what up beautiful.

A | i just got out of work.

P | how was it?

A | it was a first day for sure.

he laughs.

P | well i was just working on my music.

A | always grinding.

sorry for such a wait on an update!

Word Count: 945