Chapter 4.)

It was March the 21st, it's been two weeks since the incident and King has been trying to keep Joie at arm's length. He didn't want to hurt Ava's feelings but if he was being honest, it felt good to talk to another person outside of his daughter. He was playing with fire, but Joie wasn't judgmental and she seemed to understand him; it's what he wanted from Renae and the rest of the family.

"Hey, you," Joie smiled when King entered her office. There was no denying that she was a very gorgeous woman. Pretty brown skin, petite stature, and stood at least 5'7. King was attracted to her energy, but he'd never admit it.

"Hey... I know we weren't scheduled for today... I just thought we could kick it," he shrugged.

Smiling, she pushed her hair behind her ear and motioned for him to take a seat.

"Did you sign in?" she asked.

"Nah... ain't want you getting in trouble," he chuckled, sitting down.

Staring at him for a moment, she rose a brow, "What are you doing Mr. Stone?" the smile was laced heavily in her voice and King smirked leaning into the cushion.

"Back to professional? I can dig it."

Laughing, but not denying, she flipped through her magazine, and King laid back on the couch. Things were quiet between the two for about 30 minutes and King enjoyed it, it gave him time to figure some stuff out.

Joie stared at him then her eyes traveled lower as something caught her eye, "You took off the watch?"

"Huh? Oh... yesterday," he glanced at his naked wrist.

"Hmm," she hummed.

"Hmm," he mocked and she sucked her teeth.

"I don't sound like that."

"Eh... a lil bit," he sat up and picked up the mini basketball.

Joie stared at him for a moment and just like before, she saw the regret settle on his face. "What's on your mind?" she asked, but already knew.

"I um... I gotta go," he put the basketball down and stood.

Joie didn't say anything. It wasn't her place and she knew her position; Ava made that clear.

"Are we still on for our session?" he asked with one foot out the door.

"Of course," she flashed a smile.

Staring at her, he went to say something but shook it off and left out. As King was heading out of the building, his phone began ringing, making him feel guiltier.

Removing it from his pocket, he looked down at Ava's contact and cursed. It was like she had a sixth-sense whenever he was doing something.

"Helluh?" he answered.

"Um... where are you? I had to walk home."

King closed his eyes and mentally kicked himself. He forgot he told her that he was going to pick her up from school today.

"I'm on my way... I got caught up," why did he say that? Ava's antennas were on full alert.

"Caught up? Daddy... I know I'm tha' child... but what in tha' world were you doing? How in tha' world did you forget to pick up your own child?" she was hot. Lord knows if she wasn't afraid of repercussions, she'd reach through the phone and smack him upside his head.

"I went in for an early session, baybeh gi-"

"You didn't have to go for another two days! Daddy what is wrong with you?! Are you... are you serious?"