Chapter 20.) Good News

"Kingston!" Renae's voice pulled him from his thoughts.

"Did you hear me? Your phone is going off," she announced before she continued playing the game.

Blinking rapidly, King looked around the place and scratched his brow. "Didn't you say dat already?"

Renae looked over at him crazily then laughed returning to the game. Disoriented, King picked up his phone and closed his eyes. Taking a deep breath, he tapped the screen and once it lit up his breathing halted until he saw who the messages were from:

Lil Goon: How's the date going old man?

Lil Goon: Since you missed four of my calls, I'll just assume it's going well!

Lil Goon: I wasn't yelling in the last text... ok, maybe I was but I was excited, hehe. Answer your phone, little grasshopper.

King busted out laughing at the last message and Renae glanced over her shoulder at him with curiosity in her eyes.

Replying to Ava's many messages, he slid his phone into his pocket and released a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure what it was or if it was guilt eating at him, but he was glad that the messages weren't from Joie.

"Everything ok?" Renae cut her eyes at him as she collected her tickets.

Smirking, King stared at her for a moment. Maybe it was a weird daydream that he just had. Maybe it was a sign from God of what was to come or what could have happened if he didn't cut things off with Joie. All he knew was that he was happy that the messages were from Ava checking on him and not Joie because he wasn't sure how he was going to explain that one.

"It was lil mama checking on me," he answered.

"You two are pretty close," she moved to the side so he could take his turn.

"I'm all she knows."

Renae chewed on her bottom lip nervously then leaned against the machine, "You never mentioned your ex... how come?"

"That's because you never asked," he winked at her.

Renae folded her arms and squinted at him. Chuckling, King continued to focus on the game while making her come up with different scenarios in her mind.

"I told you about my ex... why can't I hear about yours?" she challenged.

"She's dead," King said simply and Renae pursed her lips.

"Oh..." she wasn't sure if she should be offended or not.

"Just fuckin' with you, she crazy... locked in tha' psych ward," he walked around her to the next machine and she stood there looking dumbfounded.

I liked the other response better, she shook her head and followed him

"What are we doing after this?" she queried.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out," he flashed a smile and she playfully rolled her eyes.

"As long as it's something I can beat you at."

***

"Ava, I know you aren't calling your father again," Karen scolded and Ava smiled feigning innocence.

"I was checking tha' weather..."

"Hand it over," Karen held out her hand.

"Mannnn," Ava frowned, handing her phone over.

"I told you to leave him alone, he'll call you when he gets a chance."

"Mhm," Ava opened her sewing book.