Chapter 6

King was guilty as hell. It showed all in his face but he tried to stop it. The longer he stared at Ava as she slept, the guiltier he felt, and whenever he thought about Renae his heart stopped beating. He was indeed going through it.

He walked upstairs as if he were carrying a ton of bricks on his back. That's how heavy his conscience was. Even his shower seemed longer and hotter. Everything that he was doing, seemed so wrong.

After beating himself up for an hour, he allowed his sins to wash down the drain before he cleaned himself.

"Fuck man," he mumbled once he laid in bed.

How in the hell was he supposed to tell this to Renae? She would never take him back. She said plenty of times that she'd kill him if he ever cheated, and this was the day he believed it.

The floor creaking caught his attention and he slowly turned towards the door as Ava opened it.

"Daddy?"

"What's wrong?" he sat up.

Rubbing at her tired eyes, she ran inside and climbed on the bed. Getting under the covers with him, she laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

"You missed our show," she mumbled.

"I'm sorry," his apology was for more than one thing.

Ava stirred and lifted her head and stared at him, "Why do you sound like dat?"

"Do I really disappoint you?" he ignored her question.

Sitting up, she leaned against his headboard and King turned on his side. She stared ahead for a moment then down at her charm bracelet and played with it.

King thought she was just going to make him suffer by being quiet until she glanced at him with sad eyes. "I forgive you."

King was perplexed. There was no way she knew. There was no way he outed himself that easily, no way in hell.

"Forgive me? For what?" he wrinkled his forehead to hide his fear.

Ava stared at him as if she was trying to search his soul before she took a deep breath. "You like her... I'm a child... I should know my place. So... I forgive you," she shrugged.

"I don't like her," he frowned. Did he?

"You do," she laughed, laying down and stared at the ceiling. "You just don't know it... I can see it."

"I don't like her... I'm married," he was so conflicted.

What's happening to me? He scratched his brow.

Ava placed her hands behind her head and stared at him. "Am I free to speak or should I stay in my place?"

"I guess," he wasn't sure what the hell she was going to put together and say.

"You were with her... that's why you didn't answer when I called right?"

"I was in tha' car," he was in the car when she called, technically he didn't lie.

"Hmm," she gave him a look but brushed it off.

"Whatever happens... just promise dat you'll at least try with mom again... because I am not calling dat lady my Stepmama," she mugged him and he busted out laughing.

It was the first time he felt good in hours and he loved that his daughter could light the flame again.

"I'm serious Daddy... like you can talk to her and whatnot, but don't catch feelings for her... you can't see it, but she's using you," her voice softened.