Chapter 8.)

"When's the last time you checked on your mom?" Tamir asked Kaari as she rearranged their furniture for the fifth time. It was May the 4th. She was off for a few days and been so stressed about the things that Ava's been telling her, she locked herself in the house.

Ava didn't say much, but she told Kaari enough for her to read between the lines and catch a few things that Ava may not have caught. Did she want her father to move on? No. Did she expect him to step out on their mom? Nope. Would she put all of the blame on Joie? She would, but she would still have words for her father, because to her, he should have known better.

"Two weeks... maybe longer," she shrugged. She wasn't sure when was the last time she called or went to visit her mom and they were only fifteen minutes away from each other.

"She's battling cancer, Kaari... don't you think you should be spending as much time that you can with her?" Tamir was confused. As long as he's been part of the family, he never understood why everyone always acted off of emotions.

"How long have we known dis? Mi kno wah a go pan wid fi mi mada. Just.... leave it alone," she rolled her eyes then went back to moving the table.

Daewon just shook his head. He learned not to get on her's or Reign's bad side; they both were violent.

"I wish my momma would get cancer and I spend my damn time staying away from her. I wish I would do some stupid shit like that."

"Bwoy," she glared at him. Daewon picked up his plate of food and headed into the kitchen.

"What I tell you about that shit? We not in slavery time, I got a fucking name."

"Den act lakka yuh deserved to be called it. Shut up talking to mi," she dismissed.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It was crazy that he was still friends with her.

"Say less," he headed upstairs and she rolled her eyes.

"You know... you don't have to be so mean," Daewon snickered. He got a kick out of the two arguing. If it was him getting grilled then he was fine.

"Hush," she moved the sofas then walked towards the fireplace and began switching the pictures around.

"Girl, call yo mama!" Daewon shook his head.

"If yuh... HUSH!"

"You hush... got damn trilingual face ass. Better choose a language and pick up the phone," he headed upstairs.

She wanted to be mad but busted out laughing. She couldn't stand his smart ass mouth but knew he was right, she just wasn't ready to call Renae. She was afraid she might slip up and snitch on King.

***

"Basketball season is coming up, you playing?" Bryson asked Dajon as they lounged in his living room as Dante and Laiya played with each other.

"Nah... Zuri got too much going on and my niece about to get herself involved in some mess she has no business being in," Dajon shook his head. Ava was truly a piece of work.

"What you mean? The twins or the miracle baby?" Bryson smirked and Dajon chuckled. After all these years, they still called her that.

"The miracle baby... she just... Lord, I know she loves her damn daddy, but she is a handful."

"Well, she's always been sassy," Bryson defended but that's not what he was talking about.