Chapter 45.) Pray With Faith

Christmas didn't turn out the way that everyone had hoped. There were rain, thunder, flash flood warnings in certain areas. The air was brisk with signs of heat in the distance. Tension in the family was thicker than Crisco. Karen moved her things out and was currently sleeping in the guest house but the kids felt as if she would be moving somewhere else soon. King has been quiet a lot more than usual and everyone knew it was because of the fight. His heart was broken and he was trying to learn how to find peace outside his wounds.

He wouldn't even say that he had problems worse than others but he still endured trauma growing up, he just learned how to deal with it. Maybe it wasn't a good thing that he swept a lot of things under the rug and kept it bottled up but it's what he felt was best... that was until he could no longer take it. His mom would never be proud of him because he wasn't the daughter that she wanted. He was her son, the drug dealer who killed people, made millions, and turned legal. He was a reminder of her disappointments.

It was January 3rd, two days after the twins 21st birthday, and Kaari was currently at the hospital with Ava as she braided Reign's hair. Kaari kept telling Renae and King that she's been having a weird feeling that she couldn't explain but knew it had something to do with Reign. They didn't understand but realized that it must have been some twin thing.

"Do you think she'll know how to talk if she ever wakes up?" Ava asked.

Kaari stared at Reign for a bit then at Ava, "I believe so."

"I hope so... sometimes people forget things when they're in a coma for dis long... I just hope Ray doesn't forget us," Ava admitted as she picked up the comb.

"Who taught yuh how to do dat?"

Ava frowned softly, "Do what?"

"Box braids."

"Oh," Ava giggled, "Aunt Yanna."

Kaari nodded impressed. Yanna was good at doing hair.

"So..." Kaari said as she walked towards the window.

"So..." Ava mocked and she smirked.

"Any lickkle bwoys try yuh yet?"

Ava rolled her eyes and huffed, "Let me guess, Daddy put you up to dis?"

"Daddy?" Kaari furrowed her brows, "Why would he?"

Ava stared at her long and hard before deciding that she was truly confused, "I don't want to date."

"Not even crush?"

"No," Ava squinted at her then tilted her head, "Why? I'm fifteen or did you forget?"

Kaari chuckled, "I didn't... I'm actually proud of yuh. Yuh aren't like di rest of us."

"Mmm," was Ava's response and Kaari laughed.

"Who would yuh tell first?"

"Daddy," Ava shrugged casually and Kaari smirked.

"Smart... I tink mum would make yuh keep it a secret... like shi did for Ray," she said and Ava stared at her curiously.

"What you mean?"

"Nutten," she waved her off then pondered a bit before speaking, "Mum is... great... a good mum... shi kept a lot of our secrets from Daddy and maybe dah why he was upset about a lot of tings... yuh telling him whenever yuh do have a crush will be good."

Ava only nodded.

After she finished braiding Reign's hair, they went down to the cafeteria to get food and sat outside to eat. Ava enjoyed her newfound relationship with Kaari. She hated that things were so crazy years ago but could really see the growth in Kaari, internally and physically. She was becoming the big sister that Ava always wanted to be around and looked up to.