Chapter 41.) December 14th

It's been two weeks since the incident at the hotel and when Renae and King told the family about what transpired they laughed their asses off. Renae couldn't believe the stunt they tried to pull on them and couldn't believe that they've been doing it for years to other black people who visited.

At first, King and Renae had no intentions of reporting the incident but little Ava convinced them to, in her words, it would make our ancestors proud, so they did. It only took 24 hours for the news to hit the media and right after, Renae and King were informed that the place was ordered to shut down indefinitely and the owners had to pay a hefty fine to King and Renae for "emotional distress" and then had to come out of pocket to the other black guests that have ever been there.

Ava ate that news up as if it were the best piece of pie and washed it down with some grape Kool-Aid. She would admit that she loved when karma came back to handle fools and she also had been waiting for karma to pay a visit to Joie.

With the weather colder than usual for Virginia, the trees bare and dull, the skies seemed to always look gray but there was never any rain. The kids were praying for a snowy December, while the adults were hoping for warmer days. Reign was making progress but was still in the coma and Renae and King were hoping that she would wake up soon. It wasn't the same without her presence and everyone felt it.

"Service was good, wasn't it?" Karen asked King as they left the church.

"Too long for no reason," Ava huffed then laughed when Karen popped her.

"It's never too long for tha' Lord," she said and Ava and King exchanged looks before laughing.

Karen waved them off as they headed to the car. "You two act like twins... it's almost scary," she said as she got situated in the passenger seat.

"He is my Daddy," Ava smiled as she tightened the straps on her walker boot.

"It's good dat you two have dis lil bond thing going, not a lot of kids get lucky to have both parents or even a relationship with 'em," Karen added.

"Well," Ava lifted her leg and laid back, "Mom and I are close but that's Kai's best friend... Daddy is mine, they all know it, even Sy," she giggled.

"Poor Sy," Karen laughed. "She's always getting left hanging."

"Un-uh," Ava said and King laughed at the expression Karen made.

"Which parent is she close with?"

"Easy, mom," Ava shrugged and Karen glanced at King.

"I mean... she did stop talking to me," he reminded.

"Except me," Ava chimed in.

"We know," Karen and King said and Ava laughed.

"Nana you sound like you wanna fight me... Daddy, I think she wants you back."

Karen gasped then looked back at Ava and Ava busted out laughing.

"Who is dis person, Lord? Dis ain't my grandbaby talking to me like dis," Karen joked as she reached back and popped Ava's hand.

"Daddy she abusing me, nine-one-one! I've been hit!"

The car filled with laughter and Karen tried her best not to laugh at Ava's foolishness but couldn't help it and was laughing her heart out.

"You are a mess, you know dat?"

"I'm tha' miracle baby," Ava smiled proudly, "Ain't dat right, Daddy?"

"I guess so, lil goon," King said then laughed when Ava tossed a jelly bean at him.