Chapter 16.) Fight For Us

Ava was in the middle of having a good ass dream when she heard things breaking. Her first thought was that somebody had broke in, so she hopped out of bed and ran into her closet. She tried to listen for voices but only heard things being thrown.

When she heard what sounded like King yelling, she crawled out of the closet and grabbed the closet thing to her, and rushed out of her bedroom, and sprinted downstairs.

"DADD-" she paused and stood there with her jaw dropped at the sight before her.

King was in attack mode. There were three holes in the wall by the window, another in the door, and the furniture was flipped over. His shirt was off and it looked as if he was ready to fight or kill someone. Ava was terrified out of her mind. She's never seen him like this.

"Dad... Daddy?" she walked into the living room cautiously.

King was breathing heavily with his fists balled and that's when she noticed his bloody knuckles and wet eyes.

Dropping the basket that she grabbed on her way out of the room, she rushed over to him just as he slid down the wall and balled his eyes out. His entire body was shaking. His heart was crushed. He felt so much pain and wanted it to stop.

He was so tired of being angry. So tired of having to fix everything. He was tired of being lied to and things being covered up.

When was someone going to fight for him? When was someone going to be there for him? When were his problems going to be the only thing that everyone was concerned about? When was enough going to be enough?

"Daddy... what's wrong?" Ava tried to touch him but he shook his head and continued to cry.

"Upstairs... Ava... please go," he was begging her to leave him alone because he felt himself slipping away. The beast inside of him was clawing its way out and he no longer had a hold on it.

"Dadd-"

"GO UPSTAIRS!" his voice shook the ground as he stared at her with dark eyes.

Ava's eyes watered and her bottom lip trembled as she backed up slowly.

King was cursing under his breath then began banging on the wall behind him. "FUCK!" he kicked the dining table leg and watched as the table crashed onto the floor.

Ava jumped when he began banging on the wall harder until he put a hole into it. With tears streaming down his face, he gripped his hair and lowered his head as he leaned from side to side. He was devastated.

All of this was taking him back to his younger years when he took a trip to New Orleans and Renae was violated by the dancer she found on Instagram.

He was blaming himself but knew it wasn't his fault, but he felt as if it was. His thoughts were too loud and making it hard for him to concentrate on his heartbeat. He was overwhelmed with sadness. Overwhelmed with anger.

He felt betrayed. He was betrayed. His wife was violated but he, in a sense, felt violated as well.

His life was crumbling and he had no means to fight for it or anything anymore. He wanted out. He needed peace. He had his peace... in his own home and now, he felt as if he had to leave just to be there for Renae but he didn't want to. It sounded selfish but he wanted to stay away.

He didn't want to go there. He didn't want to rush to her aid because he was hurting too. A man that he trusted. Someone that he grew up around had mistreated the only person that could suck the life out of his body. A man that he trusted, violated the only person that he'd die for. Someone that he looked to as a brother had crossed a line that was no coming back from and he had to handle it.