Chapter 10.)

King sat in the car for another hour after hanging up from Gereon praying. He prayed for strength. He prayed for guidance. He prayed for peace and comfort. He prayed for a miracle. He needed a miracle to get him out of this situation.

When he felt as if he got himself together, he sent Ava a text telling her that he was going to see her mom. Of course, she was excited and told him to go for it, but King was still nervous and felt bad for betraying her.

Ava was his loudest and only cheerleader and he knew once she found out about what he's been doing, he knew she would hate him. Their bond had grown so much and he was afraid of things deteriorating.

He was not ready to face the music but he knew that he needed to. Gereon was right, Renae may have said and done a lot of things, but King wasn't sure if she'd want a divorce. Well... he hoped she wouldn't.

Pulling up into the driveway, King didn't even feel right being there. It looked so foreign to him. Cutting the car off, he took a deep breath and said another prayer before exiting the car. His feet felt heavier than usual as if they were begging him to turn around.

His heart was racing wildly. His paranoia was kicking in. His palms were sweaty and his stomach was weak. He wanted to run. He was prepared to run but something was nudging him forward.

Rubbing his sweaty hands along his pants, he cleared his throat a good eight times then looked around before he finally approached the door. He didn't even felt worthy of using the key, instead, he knocked, he freaking knocked.

He heard laughter on the other side of the door and the second he heard Renae's laughter his heart fluttered.

I can't do this, he went to turn around until he heard the locks turning.

It was now or never. Slowly he turned around and locked eyes with Karen. She was surprised but she didn't hold his attention...

"T'wan... move!"

King's eyes darted behind Karen, catching Renae and Trouble awfully close. Karen saw his eyes switch a mile a second. Rage. Curiosity. Confusion. Guilt. Then back to rage.

"Un-uh," Karen blocked him before he could step inside.

Ignoring her, King respectfully moved her to the side and stepped over the threshold. It felt as if the weights were slowly piling on top of him with each step as he walked through the living room.

Renae's laughter died down and Trouble moved away from her as they both stared at King dubiously. Karen stood by the door praying that nothing went down.

King cut his eyes at his best friend then back to Renae. It took a moment for things to register and once it did, he closed his eyes and took a step back. Trouble stood and Karen rushed over ready to jump in the middle but they all were caught off guard when King spoke.

"Can we talk?" he stared at Renae.

"Yeah... sure," she stood and walked around Trouble and headed upstairs.

King stood in his spot and Karen discreetly moved in front of Trouble and pretended to pick up the remote.

"Before you even ask-"

"Don't say shit to me," King cut him off then stared at his mom.

She saw hurt linger in his eyes. She wanted to say something or tell him that it wasn't what he thought but she didn't know how to say it.

King just shook his head and walked away...

Making it upstairs, his eyes scanned the bedroom for a moment just trying to get a read on the vibe. It was obvious that Trouble was staying there, but not in the room; that was a good sign to him.