Chapter 28.) Crushed

It was 8 at night. The Madea Goes to Jail play was on and Kairo, Ava, and Assyria were laughing their behinds off. Kaari was in the kitchen with Karen helping her ice the cupcakes that they baked and Reign was sitting at the dining table mentally coaching herself to prepare for the talk that was long overdue and that she has been avoiding. Renae was in the library waiting while King took out the trash.

Karen could see how nervous Reign was and Kaari also noticed Reign trying to hide her arms. Lately, Reign has been wearing baggier clothes, staying inside more, and ignoring calls and texts. It bothered Kaari but whenever she tried to ask what was wrong, Reign would brush her off.

"Ray?" King called once he came back inside.

Reign stared at him nervously and he motioned for her to get up.

"I'll be in there," he said as he headed into the kitchen to wash his hands.

Reign remained seated and Kaari cut her eyes at Karen, who noticed the same thing. King glanced at her but decided not to say anything as he dried his hands. When he walked out, Reign stood and pulled her sleeves down and bit down on her bottom lip.

She wasn't aware of just how well King knew his kids and also warning signs. He made a mental note to check but kept his questions to himself. His eyes met Karen's and they had the same look. King only gave a nod before following Reign.

"Old man," Ava called.

"Wassup?"

"You got dis," she smiled.

"You got me," he winked before heading towards the back.

Once inside the library, Renae stared at Reign and tried to get her to sit beside her but Reign headed towards the stairs. Renae's brows creased as she stared at King and he just motioned for her to get up. Once upstairs in the urban section, they each took a bean bag to sit on and Reign messed with her sleeves as she avoided looking at her parents.

"Do you need a moment?" King asked.

Silence.

"Reign."

More silence.

"I tried to kill myself," her words were barely audible but King and Renae heard it as clear as day.

"Last week..." she mumbled.

Renae's eyes began to sting as she tried to hold back the tears.

"I don't really want to be here anymore," she confessed.

"Ray," King moved off of the bean bag and scooted toward her but Reign moved back.

"Stay right there... please," she wiped her nose then took a deep breath.

King ignored her and moved again. Reign was visibly shaking and he knew she needed to be held.

"Don't touch mi... STOP!" she tried to fight him off but King's hold only tightened.

"Let it out," he hugged her tighter as she pushed against him.

"Get offff! You left mi!" she cried harder but instead of fighting him, she hugged him.

King couldn't think of the words to say. In a matter of seconds, his mind went blank. All he knew was that she needed him and has always needed him but he never noticed. His words would only anger her more, so he held her.

Held her as if it was the last time. Held her because she tried to kill herself, last week when they were supposed to talk.

He held on just a little tighter because he blamed himself.