Chapter 18.) Getting to Know You

As the kids enjoyed themselves, the adults stood close by watching. King was leaning against the rail watching the kids play with the other kids in the pool. Dajon and Kwan were talking with Bryson but kept glancing over at King, and he paid them no mind.

Yanna and Ary were talking with Renae for a bit before they decided to join the kids in the water. Renae stood back watching King for a moment before she decided to approach him. King cut his eyes at her and smirked but didn't say anything. Renae stood next to him and leaned against the rail the same way he was and watched the kids play before she looked over at him.

He seemed relaxed.

"Which one belongs to you?" she asked.

King chuckled to himself. She was remaining in character.

"Right there with tha' braids," he nodded towards Ava.

"Mine is right there," she pointed to Kairo and Ava.

King smirked, "Two kids?"

"Why not?" she mirrored him.

King was impressed by her never breaking character, it made him wonder how long she could last.

"Married?" his eyes traveled to her hand.

Looking down, she smiled. "Single... these are just part of my outfit," she clarified.

King leaned over and stared at the rings. She didn't have on her wedding ring, engagement, or promise ring. "Are they real?" he quizzed.

"Of course," she laughed, removing one and showed it to him.

It was one that he bought for her last year.

"How do you know tha' crew?" he leaned on his side; a sign that he was comfortable.

Renae glanced over at Yanna and Ary and they gave her a thumbs up before turning around. Laughing, Renae stared at King and he rose a brow.

"Our kids go to school together," she answered.

"I don't think lil Dante goes to school with dem," he gave her an odd look and she giggled.

"I know that," she playfully shoved him. "I meant Zaire and my daughter... Assyria."

King nodded.

"Your son's in middle school?"

"Yeah... he'll be in the eighth grade this September..." she smiled.

"Hmm," King hummed. "Why are you single?"

Renae turned around and leaned her back against the rail and stared ahead, "I wasn't ready to be married."

King moved a little closer and rose a brow, "Were you scared?"

Renae remained quiet as she tried to find the right thing to say without sounding as if she was talking about him. She wanted her response to fit with her character, not to their situation.

Clearing her throat, she turned back around and stared at the kids, "I didn't think he was being honest with me... he was always going on business trips. The kids and I were always alone... I think he only asked me to marry him because I told him that I was going to leave."

King was impressed.

"That's fucked up... does he visit tha' kids?" he asked.

"When I turned down the proposal he left. We never heard anything from him since," she shrugged.

King stared at her for a moment before leaning toward her ear, allowing his intoxicating cologne to relax her. "How long do you plan on keeping dis up?"