Chapter 38.) Night 1

The Inn At Willow Grove

"This is... this is the place?" Renae turned to King and he nodded pulling around to the front where a butler was waiting. They had just made it to the hotel but something seemed a bit odd to Renae.

"Babe," Renae whispered as she looked around then at the structure of the building.

"Wassup?" King exited the car and a bellhop came around to grab their things.

Renae gave a quick smile to the man then walked around to King and pulled him to the side, "Is this a slave house?"

King frowned.

"Look at it," she whispered.

Looking around, he stared at her confused. "It's a hotel baybeh."

"Mmm," Renae shook her head but decided to leave it alone.

"You must be Mr. and Mrs. Stone," the butler smiled at them.

"We are," King replied.

"Right this way, if you would," he beckoned with his hand for them to enter.

King let Renae walk ahead as he observed the scenery. Maybe Renae was right.

"You two booked one of our most luxurious rooms in the Manor," he said as he led them up the stairs.

"I read some good reviews about dis place... wanted something good for my wife," King smiled at Renae and she blushed.

"Lousiana native?" the butler queried and King smirked.

"How you figure?"

"My wife was from there. I moved there from England and we lived there for twenty years. When she passed, I moved up here."

"What is this place exactly? I've been in Virginia all my life and never heard of this town," Renae spoke up and the butler smiled.

"Orange County... rings a bell?" he inquired as he turned down a hall.

"I've heard of that, not Orange, Virginia tho," she corrected.

"Well, Mrs. Stone... This area of the Piedmont region was occupied by Siouan-speaking people at the time of the European encounter. The natives and immigrants sowed the seeds of innovation and independence from their niche in the Blue Ridge foothills. A famous noble person of this county is Nannie Helen Burroughs."

Renae and King frowned in confusion.

"She was an African-American educator, orator, religious leader, and businesswoman," he said.

"Interesting," Renae cut her eyes at King and he chuckled.

"Here we are... this entire floor belongs to you two. To reach me just dial one. We host breakfast every morning and offer room service if you prefer to eat together and away from strangers. We're all friendly here, hope you two get acquainted and enjoy your five-day trip," he smiled before heading down the long hall.