Chapter 37.) Ava Knows Best

"You're trying to force her to relive a trauma that's she's trying to get rid of. You can't force a person to relive a moment so terrifying, Daddy. You are literally... without really saying it, indicating dat you are holding her at fault for what happened," Ava stressed to her father and King just sighed.

She caught him arguing with himself in the hallway and thought he was going crazy. None of the kids nor other members of the family knew what Trouble had done to Renae except for Karen. Ava only found out because King kept rambling on about it before he realized that Ava was standing there listening, so here they were.

Laying next to her, he stared up at the ceiling.

"She's going to have nightmares... it was traumatizing for her. I have nightmares about tha' shooting and what do you do? Come in here and lay with me until I fall asleep. I think... I feel like deep down, you're upset with her because you're tha' one dat slipped up. I don't even think it's anger at dis point, I think it's guilt."

King remained quiet, she had a point but damn, why was his daughter so damn wise for her age?

"I'm not blaming her," he said.

"Actuallyyyyy," Ava sang then smiled ponderously, "You are, Daddy."

King frowned and glanced over at her, "I am not."

Ava gave him a look mirroring Karen's then shook her head, "You're doing it unknowingly. Uncle... well, he was your best friend. You and mom fought. You moved out, got close with dat... dat thing and he did stuff to mom. You already felt bad about what you were doing with dat thing, so when you found out about him, your first thought was dat she welcomed it, right?"

King ignored her and Ava snickered.

"Out of everyone, you were supposed to be on her side but you got upset with her instead. Deep down, there's a small part of you that's wondering if she liked it or did it to get back at you. Like I know I'm young and all, Daddy but I think it's safe to say, I know you better than you probably wanted me or any of my siblings to. I know you love, Mommy, but you're also confused because she won't tell you everything dat happened. You're mad dat you told on yourself and for some reason, you feel like it's her turn. But what you did was intentional, what happened to her was forced. Unc— dat man was supposed to be like her best guy friend, give her time to realize dat what he did to her was screwed up. A friend isn't supposed to hurt you like dat and den make you feel guilty or small for not telling. She feels like a bad mom for keeping him around and feels even worse for not telling you until after he left. Give her time..." she told him then sighed.

Poor Ava was starting to get tired of being the only person with common sense. Who knew looking at every angle could be so exhausting?

"She's still processing what took place. Remember, he was like family. Not a stranger... she's going to hurt different because she trusted him... you trusted him. Do you know how many kids grow up thinking dat it was ok for dem to be touched by a family member? In almost all of those books I've read, they all thought it was ok. In dat moment, to Mom, she was tha' little girl who realized it was wrong but also thought it was ok but not really ok because he was her friend. At dat moment, she was a little girl who knew something bad was happening to her but felt as if her voice was too small to stop it. Take a moment to put yourself in her shoes, Daddy. You know I love you and no matter what, I'll always be on your side, but put yourself in Mom's shoes... she wanted it to be ok but knew it wasn't. I'm pretty sure she's trying to forgive him... I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I'm supposed to still like him or not. Not just because I'm a kid but because he was supposed to be family. He was like my freaking favorite Uncle dat always came around at tha' right time and always had fun with us. He never gave off those type of vibes, dis is when you have to sit back and ask yourself why in tha' world would he do dat when he knows how you are? I'm not defending him or anything, but why in tha' world would he basically go on a suicide mission just to... you know," she stared at him.