Chapter 54.)

It was February 2nd, it's been two weeks since Reign had lashed out on King but they've been managing things a lot better than before. "What's that?" Detective Grant asked Detective Murphy as he read through some files.

"A few charges that Stone was exonerated of."

Detective Grant furrowed his brows and walked around his desk, "How many times do we have to tell you that that man is no joke?"

"It's the fact that I keep telling you all that I do not give a damn... that man is a serial murderer and I'm going to prove it one way or the other."

Detective Grant shook his head but remained quiet.

"How much do we know about this Kwan Capri dude?" he queried.

"Never heard of him," Detective Grant shrugged as he sat down and opened his bag of jerky.

"They're more than just business partners," Detective Murphy stated as he clicked on Kwan's profile. "Born and raised in Jamaica."

"Does he have his green card?" Detective Grant asked.

Clicking around a bit and doing some scrolling, hoping to find something to use, Detective Murphy sucked his teeth and nodded, "Got approved for it thirteen years ago."

"But did he get it updated?"

"Two years ago," he answered and Detective Grant laughed at the disappointment in his face.

"Can't be mad that the man is smart."

"Mmm," Detective Murphy hummed as he found himself reading deeper and deeper into Kwan's file or at least the information that the U.S. was able to scrap up, which wasn't much.

"Any bad news about the guy?" Detective Grant wondered after twenty minutes had gone by.

"Anything before college is either concealed or we have no record of... who is this dude?"

"Maybe... ain't Davidson kid a lawyer? Maybe he worked some magic for him like he did with Stone."

Detective Murphy was intrigued by that statement and began opening new tabs and typing as quick as his fingers would allow him. "Damn it."

"What?"

"His file is protected..."

"Who's? Davidson's?" Detective Grant quizzed and Detective Murphy nodded.

"Told you to leave it alone... obviously they got help from the inside," he said as someone knocked on the door.

Closing out the tabs, Detective Murphy nodded for Grant to open the door and Detective Von walked in looking pissed off. "So... you wanna tell me why I just got a call from the DHS  about some unauthorized browsing coming from your computer?"

Detective Grant stared at Detective Murphy for a moment then slowly walked out.

"The DHS... what do they have to do with us?"

"What are you over there trying to weed your way through, Murphy?" Detective Von asked.

"Nothing... damn, just looking at some stuff that's it."

Detective Von walked over and Detective Murphy reopened his emails discreetly. Glancing at his screen then at him, Detective Von shook his head, "Whatever yo ass is tryna do, hang it up before you find yourself on desk duty."

"Question," Detective Murphy smirked as Von made it back to the door.

"What?" Von sighed.

"Who are they trying to protect and why?"