Chapter 36.)

"I'm so glad we weren't born back then because there's no way I could work for dem white folks while they talk to me like I'm crap," Ava said as she grabbed another slice of cheesecake. It was the same evening, but the kids were completely unaware of what was taking place upstairs.

"What is dis called again?" Kairo asked, laying beside her and opened another Capri sun.

Kaari picked up the remote and hit pause before reading, "Tha' Help."

"Mmm," Assyria and Ava said and Kaari laughed. She's been home for about twenty minutes and they wasted no time in pulling her into the library.

"You gotta remember how it was for us back den," Kaari glanced at Ava.

"Oh well... I guess I would have been in jail every day because un-uh," she shook her head and Kaari laughed knowing that Ava was serious.

"I mean... there's nothing wrong with white people now, some of dem are nice," Kairo said and all three of his sister stared at him crazily.

"Dem people are mean," Assyria shook her head and Ava snickered at the face she made.

"Nah," Kaari said then chuckled, "He's right, but I still don't trust dem."

"Right," Ava said with finality.

"Run girl! RUNNN!" Assyria screamed at the tv as Viola Davis ran.

"Why is yuh screaming lakka shi finna die?" Kaari busted out laughing and Assyria frowned.

"Ain't shi?"

No," Kaari chuckled as she focused on the movie.

As the movie went on, they continued to eat, enjoys their many juices, laughed, and fussed at the tv as if the characters could hear them. When the scene came on about Minny putting her shit in the chocolate pie, the kids and Kaari laughed their asses off. That moment had to have been the best part of the movie to them and Kaari had to rewind that part three times and each time, they laughed harder.

When the movie went off, Kaari cleaned things up then went to dispose of the trash while Kairo searched for something else to watch. They attempted to watch Dear White People until Kaari realized there were sex scenes and had to cut the tv off unable to find the remote. The kids had never seen Kaari move so fast in her life and they laughed their asses off.

After their laughter died down, Kaari settled on Gotham and they all became engrossed in the show. There was no talking, no bathroom breaks, no pausing to ask questions. Their eyes were glued to the screen like a new wig. . .

"Nae," King's voice was full of sleep as he felt the empty bed for her. They never got a chance to join the kids in the library. The kids ate all the fries and wings and left one lonely slice of cheesecake. King found the entire thing amusing and thought it was cute that they were all knocked out with their heads touching.

"Renae?" King sat up, allowing the sheets to fall from his naked, defined body.

Looking around the dim room, King ran his hands down his face and sighed before standing. The monster between his thighs swung freely as he headed into the bathroom to empty his bladder. Shaking and flushing, he washed his hands then closed his eyes and lowered his head as flashbacks of Renae scratching up his back crept into his mind.

"Shit," he mumbled as his dick hardened.

"Where tha' fuck she go?" he looked around the bedroom.