Chapter 33.)

"Fifteen-year-old, African American girl, GSW to her shoulder and abdomen. The right thigh seemed to have been split open but held together by a sweater. Slight fracture in her left shoulder, possible concussion, once stable, we're going in to give a CT of her brain to check for bleeding... I need all hands on deck! we have more victims coming in!" Dr. Reynolds said as the nurses and other surgeons worked to keep Ava stable.

"Where is the family?" a nurse asked.

"I'm sure they're waiting, so let's save her," he ordered as they rolled the bed towards the elevator.

"MOVE!"

"MOVE!"

"Hold the elevator!" he yelled.

"Has anyone paged DR. Drey or Tia?"

"I called Dr. Tia, she'll be in the O.R. waiting on us," a nurse said and he nodded, looking down at Ava.

"My God," his jaw dropped once he realized who she looked like.

"What?" the trauma nurse asked.

"She... her... her sister is already in here," . . .

Families were running around and asking if their child had been brought into the ER. Nurses and Doctors were unloading the ambulance and getting reports from the paramedic crew. Beds were getting filled, the news was playing loudly on the tv, making it hard for King to focus on his breathing and thoughts. All he saw was red and somebody had to feel his pain.

"Bruv... where are yuh gwaan?" Kwan asked King when he headed for the door.

"Out," was King's simple response and Karen recognized the tone of his voice.

"Oh, no sir... Noooo sir," Karen rushed over and grabbed King's arm but he snatched away and glared at her. He was a hurting man. A distraught father. Somebody was going to help him ease his pain, damn it!

"You have two daughters in here dat are fighting for their lives, you better sitcho' ass down and act like you know better!"

King's head cocked to the side and his left brow rose as he stared at her as if she was speaking another language. He just knew good and damn well she wasn't trying to tell him to sit his ass down when there was blood that needed to be shed, He just knew she wasn't trying to tell him to sit the hell down when his daughter had just been shot. He just knew he was dreaming.

"Man gon'," King brushed her off and headed for the exit.

Kwan and Dajon jogged after him and caught him before he could leave the building.

"Get out my fuckin' way," he spoke through clenched teeth, ready to tap both of their asses if it came down to it.

"You think I don't understand your pain? I got both my nieces up in here fighting for their lives and I wasn't present for either situation. I know how you feel, my nigga," Dajon fussed as he pushed King back when he tried to walk around him.

"YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT! EVERY TIME I'M NOT AROUND SOMEBODY GETS HURT! MY FUCKING DAUGHTER TRIED TO KILL HERSELF BECAUSE I LEFT! MY OTHER DAUGHTER WAS TRYING TO TELL ME DAT SOMETHING WAS WRONG AND I IGNORED IT! YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT!" King was was mad he had spit flying from his mouth.

"So wah yuh gwaan do, eh? Kill di bwoy dah already dead?" Kwan cut in and King mugged him.

"He got family doesn't he?"

"Aw nah... come on, bro. This ain't you," Dajon said. He felt for his brother-in-law but this wasn't the way.

"Oh, it ain't?" King asked as if that was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard.