Chapter 27.) Close Call

King's heart was racing a mile a second as he watched the two communicate. He wasn't quite sure if Renae was really into the conversation or just being nice but he knew he needed to get the hell over there. As if the Lord was on his side, the elevator dinged and Joie stepped on. King released a breath he wasn't even aware to be holding.

"That wasn't weird at all," he heard Renae mumble as he made his way to her.

"I was looking for you," he chuckled nervously.

"Here I am," she giggled.

King just cracked a smile as he pressed the elevator button. Once it came, they stepped on and King said a small prayer to himself the whole way down.

"I wish you were out here earlier... some crazy lady just started talking to me like she knew my ass."

King's mouth went cotton dry.

"I don't really know if she was crazy... but still," she giggled. "And she had a tattoo kinda like mine," she added.

King's eyes darted around frantically as his heart began to pound in his chest.

"I'm kinda jealous tho," she went on, oblivious to King's nervousness.

"What you say baybeh?" He looked around the parking area for Joie.

"I said she was pregnant... I didn't ask, crazy lady just kept on talking," Renae shook her head the shrugged. "Oh well."

"Yeah," King mumbled.

Please don't let that be my baby, he prayed or so he thought.

"Huh?" Renae frowned.

"Huh?" King repeated.

Renae squinted at him then waved him off. "I knew I should've brought my coat," she groaned as the brisk wind hit her face.

Removing his jacket, King placed it around her as they headed for the parking garage. Renae was quiet and King was too busy in his head. He did not expect to see Joie at all. He thought he was finally free of her but the moment he saw her, his dream or whatever the hell you wanted to call it came to mind and had him ready to shit fucking bricks.

She was pregnant but there was no way it was his child. He remembered Joie saying something about the two sleeping together but he didn't remember nor did he believe her ass.

Did I fuck the bitch?

She sucked my dick, did we fuck?

Ain't no way that's my fucking baby.

Lord... father God, don't let that bit— broad be carrying my seed.

What the fuck!

Did we fuck? He scratched his brow then sighed.

I ain't touch that pussy! His dick yelled at him and King chuckled to himself.

You acting too nervous nigga! Man the fuck up! King took a deep breath then cleared his throat a few times.

That ain't my baby.... it ain't.

"Babe?" Renae's voice pulled him from his thoughts.

King glanced at her hoping he didn't hear her and she had a sneaky look in her eyes.

Oh Lord... did she hear me?

Am I talking out loud?

Why the fuck am I talking to myself?

Nigga, shut up!

Focus!

"What you grinning like dat fo— whoa!" King damn near tripped over his feet when Renae pulled him into the back seat. He hadn't even realized that she took the keys from him until now.