Chapter 39

Samantha's POV

What is he doing with them? I asked myself as I continued to watch the boy with the same masked man and his little group. Deciding it's best not to watch for any longer, I closed my blinds and turned around to head for the door, hoping i'd be able to have a talk with Schlatt.

As soon as I opened my door, I was surprised at the amount of scattered parchment all over a massive table. It seemed as though someone was planning an event, a big one if I may guess. With my eyebrows furrowed, I looked around only to be surprised with the sound of the front door being opened. Quietly, I circled around a corridor and found Schlatt standing by the door after closing it from behind.

" Hey, " I greeted with a small smile. He immediately looked up. " Do you have a minute? "

He returned the smile and fixed his tie. " I'm sorry but my hands are quite full right now. " Right after answering, he walked pass me. I tried to hide my frown and followed behind, curious as to what the reason was for his busy schedule.

I then found him standing in front of the pilled papers, scrambling his hands around it with a frown on his face. His face showed a bit distress as he continues to look around, even moving things around while muttering low profanities over and over again. I silently watched him as I stood beside the table, debating with myself if I should ask what he was looking for.

" Where is it?! " Schlatt yelled out and accidentally bumped in to one of the side tables, causing the drawers to be pushed open before falling down to the floor. More old and used parchments scattered everywhere, along with quill and inks that caused a rather massive mess but amongst it, a book fell along. Schlatt failed to notice it and started to cause a bigger mess as he searches through all of it. I bent down and grabbed the book, analyzing it as soon as I held it.

Obvious burnt marks were left permanently on the book's pages and cover but it was in a perfect condition despite the look of it. I flipped it around and realized what it was, it was the same one that Quackity grabbed from last time. The word L'manburg was visible as daylight on the top middle of the cover. I frowned and grazed my fingers across the embarks of each letter, a feeling of familiarity suddenly opening. It's like I've held it before and knew everything about.

Slowly, I touched the side of it, planning to open without realizing what I was doing. All of a sudden, the small item was instantly pulled away from me with one swift move. A surprised gasp escaped my lips as I looked up at Schlatt whom was glaring at me. I stood up from the ground and raised my hand to apologize.

" Do not ever touch my things. " He stated with a warning tone. I gulped at his intense gaze.

" I'm sorry, I found it on the floor and- "

" Save it and clean this shit up. " He said before storming out of the house, even slamming the door shut on his way out. The sound of heavy wood slamming down to concrete echoed around the walls, making me flinch as my eyes trailed down to the floor. I had no choice but to pick everything up by hand and neatly stacked them altogether and place it aside.

Suddenly, the door opened once again. Fear rised from the top of my throat as I hurriedly tried to clean the ink that stained the floor after it shattered everywhere. My heart started to beat rapidly with my breath becoming shallow, I was listening for his footsteps so carefully that I've failed to realize a hand on top of mine's. I looked down in surprise, everything suddenly stopping with the sounds of my heartbeat lessening instead of pounding through my ears.

" What are you doing? There's broken glass everywhere! " Quite feminine, the voice was rather surprising as I was expecting his voice. I turned my head slowly and stared at a worried face of a woman. She had her hair tied with her bangs hanging from the side of her face. Unknowingly for me, she was trying to pull my hands away from the floor while pushing the shards away with her shoe.