Chapter 18

When I arrived by the riverbank, the water was rather shallow so I chose to jump in and cross it. Though I had quite the troubles since it reached above my knee, making it hard for me to walk. But I managed to reach halfway through and pulled myself by grabbing on to the land on the other side. I quickly pulled myself up and plopped down on the dirt with a tired sigh.

My knees started shaking as soon as I laid down along with my heavy pants. I decided it was best not to rest yet and stood up from the grass before climbing up the small hill. Eventually, the walls were finally upclose where I could just reach it and run to everybody. I tried to pick up my pace and ran towards the gate. There stood a friend guarding the gate with his sword when his attention moved towards my direction, he steadily held the sword close to his body with narrowed eyes.

" Fundy... " I breathed out and slowly walked closer to him. His nose scrunched up, revealing his pointed teeth as he was about to attack me when he stopped himself.

" Sam? " Fundy mumbled.

I slowly reached the light, revealing myself to Fundy. He suddenly dropped his weapon to the ground and slowly approached me, I smiled gently at my close friend. I opened my arms, greeting him as he attacked me with a tight hug. We spun around for a short second before stopping as we both laughed together.

" I'm happy you're back, Sam. " Fundy whispered to my ear.

" I'm glad to see you again. " I chuckled and gave him a pat on the back.

He soon untangled his arms around me and smiled, when a voice came from the gates. We both turned in surprise only to see Tubbo standing in the middle of the gate, shaking with his hands stuck to his mouth with his eyes widened in pure shock. Fundy gave me a pat on the back, insisting I should go. I smiled and ran as fast as I could towards Tubbo, before hugging him as tight as I could.

Tubbo suddenly cried and gripped tightly on to my clothes while hugging me. I smiled softly and placed a hand behind his head, stroking his hair gently as I comforted him. Tubbo burried his face deeper in to my clothes and tightened his grip, not wanting to let go of me. I stopped stroking his hair and wrapped my arms around his torso. We then remained silent for the moment, cherishing the moment we finally had after days of being seperated.

" I missed you. "

" I missed you too. "

We soon seperated after minutes of hugging, although I had to take the upper hand since Tubbo refused to let go of me. I reassured him after and asked for where the others were. Fundy was quick to lead me inside the walls and headed for a room, I quickly realized that it led to the small clinic we built. I barged inside the room, only to surprise Wilbur who was sitting beside a bed with a tired look plastered to his face.

Soon as he noticed me, his eyes widened, just like how I saw Tubbo earlier. Wilbur immediately stood up and was in the state of shock while slowly approaching me. I smiled but soon noticed a body laying on the bed. My smile dropped as I walked pass Wilbur and glanced down. The heart inside my chest dropped down to my stomach as I scanned the bandages on his body and the amounts of healing potions by the makeshift table beside the bed.

Wilbur approached me from behind and placed a hand on my back, just when a tear dropped down to the floor from my eyes. Tubbo worriedly looked at me with a frown on his face along with Fundy who's head was stuck to the ground. I slowly walked forward and sat on the small space on the bed before placing a hand on top of the boy's hands, I flinched at how cold it was.

" I'm sorry, Tommy. I'm sorry I was too late. " I whispered and grabbed his hand with both of mine's to hopefully warm his body with the warmth of my palms.