Chapter 46

As I rouse from a heavy slumber, I am first aware of the coolness of the air and it's loamy fragrance. The ground is lumpy as if I were on a bed of earth and rocks. My clothes feel as damp as a flower in the dew of the dawn. I half wonder if I'm still dreaming as I sit up to take in the shafts of light that burst through the gaps in the leaf canopy above.

It would've been a lovely sight, if it wasn't for the realization that it wasn't the egg-yolk sun shinning it's warmth down and through the leaves above me, but instead, a small fire dancing inside a glass cage as the metal handles was held by a person standing beside my tired body. I felt my body tense at the touch of Ice emitting from their long fingers.

" What happened to you? " A cool yet cold voice spoke, sending shivers down my spine as he placed one of his hand beneath my back in order to pull me up. I followed the movement of his other hand as it went down to place the lantern down on the soft grass. The light from inside illuminated the grass, revealing it's differentiated shades of green.

" Samantha. " He called.

I closed my eyes, trying to find the specific answer out of my head to determine who he was, I swore I've heard his voice before.

" Schlatt? " I whispered, a wave of relief splashing over me as I slowly move my head, locking gazes with his deep eyes. He looked at me for a mere second before pulling his arms off of my body. Despite the lack of light, the lantern's faint light illumined his empty gaze perfectly, somehow making me feel afraid and made me clutch my arm gently.

" What are you doing here? " Schlatt asked with displeased look. The look of his stare immediately scaring me.

I looked away and took a second to register my surrounding. My eyes slightly widened as I stare at nothing but trees and darkness, while the bright sun's shine could be seen emitting from behind the tall mountain from afar, mixing with the dark skies. It was already at the crack of dawn, yet I'm here laying outside with no idea how I even got myself in to this.

" I-I don't know, Schlatt. " I responded and wrapped my hands around my head, feeling the heat transferring to my palms along with the strong pulse from the veins as the headache eventually came.

" You don't know? " He repeated in a questioning matter, frowning even more with an irritated groan slipping pass his lips. His hand raised and wiped it down to his face before grabbing my wrist. " Just- Get up. "

I felt myself shoot up from the ground as the force of his arm managed to pull me up. Schlatt gave me no time to process, making my headache worse. My legs failed to follow quickly as I kept stumbling here, and there, earning quite a look from him as he yanked me forward. With how fast we were both walking, it almost seemed that he was in a hurry, making me concerned as I looked around. No one was awake and most definitely inside their quarters, even our enemies would probably choose a better time than this. So, why is he in a hurry?

Upon reaching the door to the White house, he pushed it open, revealing Quackity sitting in front of a table filled with a messy pile of parchment. He didn't seem to notice us first, before he stood up and finally noticed us. His eyebrows raised while giving us each questioning looks.

" Can you grab the aid kit. " Schlatt asked- ordered, rather as he didn't even spare Quackity a requesting smile or simply just a glance of acknowledgement. Quackity left the room, while I was sat on one of the couch, slightly feeling bad for Quackity. I was now staring at the pile, realizing that this was all garbage that he need to clean, by himself.

As soon as Quackity came back, Schlatt left the room to enter his office. Both, him and I, exchanged looks of confusion. I was half-expecting Schlatt would do it instead, considering that Quackity already had a lot in his hands. He couldn't help but sigh tiredly before crouching down in front of me.