Chapter 48

I sobbed, my shoulders shaking uncontrollably as I let myself fall to the ground. This time, I felt betrayed and angered, feeling too much of both that I was stuck there, crying while holding the papers between my hands and chest. Everything— Every little thing was explained now. All the confusion I felt for the past time, was now gone as I came to a sudden realization.

It was wonderful, at first. Remembering the days of peace and utter bliss, where the only problem we had is waking up early to do our tasks for every day.

If it wasn't for him.

All the days I spent with him, thinking he was my only friend- my only family. The seconds, minutes and hours I wasted, taking care of him when I could've ran to my true family that I blindly turned my back to.

Maybe he was right.

I was an absolute fool, the biggest fool amongst fools. Who would even let herself fall for their own trap? Me. Now, I am here, laying across the cold stone as I let the salty tears run down the sides of my face and on to the ground. The sounds of heavy footsteps emitted from outside, along with the festive music blasting across the place. Everyone was headed for the Festival, probably hoping to enjoy themselves this time— which I know they'll do.

The last time— maybe forever the last time, I saw the outside, every spaces were filled with entertainments and colorful decorations to really show the meaning of celebration. I suddenly heard their voices, some laughing, and others talking to each other. I closed my eyes and brought myself up, leaning my back on the wall and hugging both my knees.

" Why don't you escape? "

I laughed, a painful laugh that brought even more tears in my eyes. " What's the point? No one would hear me, No one will come. " Every word came out as a whisper, before disappearing within the damped air of the cold room.

" How about your family? They seemed to love you there in those papers, I'm sure they'd be willing to save you. "

My head shaked, left and right, disagreeing with the voice echoing around my head. " Save me, when I'm already trapped here? " Hearing those words made me laugh again, finding it rather ridiculous than disappointing. " No one is here to save me, silly. Everyone is gone. "

Suddenly, everything went silent. The room became utterly quiet, as if a bomb of silence was thrown right inside the small space and blew away every little sound. I covered my ears with my arms, refusing to listen to the ear-piercing ringing that the silence had cause.

He chuckled.

I slowly looked up, my eyes landing on a figure sitting across from me.

" Now, " Finally, I reached his face, seeing the famous sly smirk that was always on his face when he had something in his mind. He crained his neck and stared at me. " will you finally accept that I was right? "

I frowned, my mind refusing but something was pulling me towards him, almost trying to believe what Schlatt was saying.

" No— "

" Yes, I'm the only one you have left! " Schlatt screamed at the peak of his amusement and stood up to spread his arms. " Come on, look around— Do you see any of those little family of yours? "

As he said that, I raised my head to take a look at the room. From that moment, tears welled up in my eyes along with a sharp breathe in. My shoulders dropped as I tried to catch an air, but the feeling inside my throat was an unexplainable pain. It felt like struggling to swallow a still-beating heart. I closed my eyes, frowning as I cried out silently.