f o r t y

We hurried through the hallways to the medical bay where Nana and Lord Dimitri were getting treated

We hurried through the hallways to the medical bay where Nana and Lord Dimitri were getting treated. It was on the opposite side of the palace from where my chambers were located so it was quite a journey. The guard lead us through a series of turns and stairs until we came to a halt in front of a door painted white with a small red cross at the very middle of it.

The room was surprisingly quite spacious. It was blindingly white starting from the walls to the curtains that covered each of the many beds that lined both sides on the room in two neat rows. I was almost self-conscious of getting something dirty in there and made sure to not touch anything unnecessarily.

A nurse holding a tray layered with medical supplies almost ran into us as we entered the room. His long Fae ears twitched in surprise when he saw who it was.

"Your Highness. Chief Hawthorne." He greeted, bowing as much as he could without spilling the contents in his hands. "Right this way. Please follow me."

The nurse guided us to the farthest end of the room. Along the way, I caught glimpses of soldiers being tended to their wounds and assumed that they are the ones who must have been on the expedition. Most of them were unconscious or sedated and conscious ones were in too much pain to say anything.

My heart pounded as I saw the familiar face of Lord Dimitri, albeit a bit dishevelled, and a young woman probably in her thirties, in the next bed. I glanced around to see which bed Nana was in, but the only people were the wounded soldiers. Panic arose within me. I tugged Jase's sleeve.

"Where's Nana?" I whispered. "I don't see her..."

"What do you mean you can't see her? She is literally right there." He whispered back, giving me a funny look.

"What do you mean right there? I can see Lord Dimitri and a...oh."

'Guardians are very good at glamouring their looks.' Hailey's voice echoed in my head.

I stared at the woman who is supposedly my adoptive grandmother. She smiled at me tiredly. One of the nurses dabbed an ointment on the cuts and gashes covering her hands and face.