t h i r t y f o u r

The library clearly hadn't been used in ages

The library clearly hadn't been used in ages. There is dust collected everywhere as far as the eye could see. Spider webs wove loosely around books in the top shelf and every time I pulled out a book to examine, clouds of dust floated lazily in the air making us sneeze. The room had good lighting from the floor high windows located at respectable distances. Not much noise from the outside got in due to the thick walls, except for the faint chirps of the birds that occasionally visited our window with their curious little eyes peeping in to see the visitors. The entire length of the floor is carpeted so our footsteps don't make a sound.

"What are you looking for?" Aiden asks.

His voice echoes eerily in the otherwise silent room. He had been quietly following me around all this time. He would occasionally glance at me but busy himself with a loose thread or a stray book, when I notice.

"Nothing in particular. Just something that will help me understand the usage of magic." I said.

"Why didn't you just ask me?" He asks incredulously, halting his footsteps. "This entire time I thought you were looking for stories to read."

"It's not like I have time for that Aid. Also, I didn't want to load you with more work than you already have. Don't think I haven't noticed the heaps of documents you have lying around on your desk." I said. I turned into the next row of shelves.

I paused after not having found anything after searching for almost an hour. Why is there not a single book in this huge place that would possibly help me? I hear a dull noise of something falling on the carpet and stop in my tracks. 

"Aiden? Are you alright? Where are you?" I call. 

"Right here. I'm fine. Sorry, dropped a few books on the floor. You won't find the books you're looking for. My brother had everything and anything that had to do with magic locked and sealed with a spell only he can undo. It's a part of the restricted section. A shield protects it from plain view." Aiden said, appearing from around the corner. I raise a curious eyebrow.

"How exactly do you know that bit of information?"

He feigned an offended look and folded his arms across his chest. I tried not to notice the light trace of bulging muscles due to the thin fabric of his shirt as he did so.