t w e n t y t h r e e

It is almost six hours since we left the stable and currently we were flying past snow covered tree tops and frost layered lands

It is almost six hours since we left the stable and currently we were flying past snow covered tree tops and frost layered lands. We stopped on the outskirts of a village when it struck three hours to feed the dragons just like the stable keeper asked us to.

The food they were provided with consisted of meat, fish and a variety of fruits and vegetables. It almost made me think of a salad.

It was getting darker by the minute and the dragons were getting anxious to land and rest their wings. The sky was now a brilliant orange with small peaks of red and a deep violet. I could also see touches of midnight blue starting to creep in as time ticked by. It looked like a scenery fresh out of a painting.

My eyes were starting to droop shut as the breeze caressed my face with such gentleness that it almost felt like someone was stroking it and urging me to rest my eyes.

My thighs ached from sitting idle for a long time and I longed to stretch them. The gloveless tips of my fingers were becoming too cold for my liking.

I was shaken awake from my thoughts when I felt Aiden shift uncomfortably behind me. He took turns to wiggle his fingers and blow air on them by balancing the reins single handedly.

I pulled the cloak tighter around me and rubbed my arms up and down trying in vain to bring some life into them. To my right, I could see Melissa shiver and wrap her cloak over her arms.

"Is it just me or is it extra cold today?" Hailey muttered.

As she breathed out, a puff of white smoke took form before disappearing entirely.

"It's rather strange. It's never been this cold before." Zach said. He was stroking one of Stella's arm. I glanced at her to see her face masked in concentration. She was muttering something under her breath while moving her fingers.

After a few more attempts of chanting, she dropped her hands. Her face grew paler than it already was. I quickly turned away when she looked in my direction.

Aiden shifted again and let out a breath that felt cold on my neck. I shivered making him freeze mid-breath.

"Sorry." He said.