t w e n t y f o u r

The snow crunched under my feet as I ran down the street

The snow crunched under my feet as I ran down the street. People moved out of the way without sparing a second glance as I weaved through the crowd.

It felt like it had been just minutes when it started to snow. But now there was enough to cover the cobblestone path of the streets. I could no longer hear Aiden's footsteps after me.

I decided that he had either lost me in the crowd moving towards the heart of the village where people were dancing or stopped chasing after me altogether.

It had gotten pretty dark and the stars were twinkling in the sky like tiny diamonds. I wondered what day it was. I lost track of the days somewhere along the line.

The houses were not placed in any particular order. Some were big and some were small. A few more were oddly shaped while the rest had sweet smelling gardens lining their houses. Street lamps stood at the corner of the lanes. A few trees dotted the street.

In my trance of looking around my surroundings, I bumped into somebody just as I turned a corner.

"Oomph!"

"Heavens! I'm sorry m'lady, are you hurt?" The stranger said, as he helped me up.

"No I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going." I said, dusting my pants.

When I did look up, I found the green eyed guard from earlier smiling at me. He blended in with the night in his black uniform and dark hair. The only thing that stood out was the crimson cloth most guards seemed to wear on them. Whether it was around the neck, waist or just tied loosely around their arm or wrist.

"What are you doing alone here in these streets? Are you lost from the rest of your company?" He asked.

"Not exactly. I was just looking around." I said.

The guard smiled.

"Do you know your way back?"

"Of course I do! I think so.." I trailed away looking at the way I just came in slight alarm.