t h i r t y e i g h t

"

"...harder! Focus and use all your strength. Your opponent is not going to go easy on you just because you're hurt and bleeding." Hailey scolded.

I grit my teeth as Jase slashed my arm yet again. It was barely deep enough to scar but it still hurt. We've been going at it for about five hours without a break now and my body is beginning to feel the fatigue. 

The sound of our swords striking each other reverberated in the air. There was nobody else in the training hall except the three of us and Melissa who had popped in a few minutes ago with the promising smell of those fruit buns I've begun to grow fond of.

"There! That's it! Do it once more. Same posture. Yes, good. Again!"

I almost had Jase down again, when the door to the training hall opened and a familiar face strode in. Julian bowed and offered me a kind smile when he rose up. I climbed off of Jase and helped him up. 

"Working hard, Princess?" Julian said.

"It's alright. I'm beginning to have some fun. That was like the fifth time I had Jase down in a row under a span of thirty minutes." I chirped, feeling quite smug.

"Four! That one time doesn't count! I was eating when you pounced on me like a rabid animal." Jase huffed in protest.

"Not my fault, you were stuffing your face when Hailey clearly said that break time was over." I argued back.

"Girls, Girls. Please. Now Ellie, why don't you introduce your friend to us. He's a friend, right?" Hailey cut in.

"Ah yes, guys meet Julian. He's one of the soldiers of the Blood Brigade. Julian meet Hailey, Melissa and knucklehead. But, I guess, you already know Mel even though you've haven't met each other properly." I introduced.

"It's Jason, if you would please." Jason interjected throwing me a dirty look. I smirked at him in response.

Hailey shook Julian's hand firmly like she was signing a business deal with him and not just saying a friendly hello. Melissa offered a polite smile and a wave from where she sat on the sidelines.