t h i r t y f i v e

I flip the pages past the basic spells and skip to the more complex ones

I flip the pages past the basic spells and skip to the more complex ones. One in particular catches my eye. A spell to make clones. At first glance, nothing makes sense in the book. There are human shaped diagrams describing the process and a few scribbled notes with arrows pointed at random body parts.

I close my eyes and breathe in, remembering the exercise Hailey taught me. It was something she did when she couldn't concentrate on her source of magic.

"Imagine a little ball of light within yourself." Her voice echoed through my mind. "Feel it grow and become bigger. Let it become a part of you. Control it. Make it yours..."

My fingertips tingle as little zaps of light spark from them. I concentrate harder on controlling the haywire magic. Beads of sweat trickle down the side of head. I glance at the spell book and press my palms together. I slowly bring them apart I recite the spell.

"Eikona kathrefti."

My body warms up and gives off a slight glow. I stare harder at the black silhouette forming before me. It's hazy at first but slowly the silhouette becomes solid. Coloration of the skin appears followed by hair and limbs. I let out a shaky breath when the clone finally looked like it could pass for a human replica of myself.

A small grin formed on my lips as I scrutinized the clone. It didn't bat an eyelash even when I went really close to the face. I poked and prodded various places wondering if I would feel any pain but to my satisfaction, felt none. It wasn't a great clone but it was a really good first attempt. Few more tries and I should be able to master it. Possibly even make more at once with less efforts.

"I say, that's not half bad!"

I jumped at the sudden outburst. Melissa stood at the door, smiling from ear to ear.

"Skies, you scared me!" I said.

She shrugged, removing her cloak. She hung it up neatly on the coat rack near the door and placed her basket on one of the shelves attached to the wall. Her pointed Fae ears quirked as she inspected my clone. I had to admit, it certainly felt weird looking at myself in the eye but the clone sort of reminded me of a wax figure. I don't suppose it should look like that but this is a work in progress.