t h i r t y o n e

Jason swore

Jason swore. He reached out to get hold of me but I slipped past his grip and marched to where the witch herself stood. I hastily plastered on a smile.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Aiden opened his mouth to say something but Isabella cut him off.

"I was just telling His Highness here how it would be wonderful if we spar against each other. Don't you think it's a good idea?" She said.

Aiden cast her an annoyed look. He reached out towards me and I took a step back almost involuntarily. Hurt flashed through his eyes. I chose to ignore it for a moment even though my whole body kept urging me to find out what caused the pain from earlier. It was still there but seemed a little dull now.

"Do you want me to heal you?" He murmured so only I could hear.

"No. Melissa took care of it." I said. I tried to take a look his neck. I touched the spot without thinking. Both of us flinched back. Pain soared through my body. Aiden shut his eyes for a second. But in pain or something else, I wasn't sure.

"Is that a- what is that?" I asked bewildered.

Aiden actually looked perplexed as me. He touched the spot again and winced.

"It's nothing. I can't really remember how I got hurt. Are you sure you don't want me to heal you?" He said, brushing away my question.

He looked tired and worn out. The usual spark in his eyes was gone. I looked at him for a moment longer and then turned to the witch herself.

Isabella stared at our little interaction with outmost interest. Her eyes flickered back and forth between us. Even Derek looked curious.

"If that's what you want, I have no complaints." I said. The witch had the audacity to smirk.

"There! You see, the both of you didn't have to worry so much. You're practically treating her like a child." She said. I gave her a withering glare.

"Princess you don't have to do this. It is absolutely not necessary. Isabella, I order you to stay within your limits. You're challenging the future Queen of the high kingdom. You should be bowing before her. Not picking a fight. Have some dignity for yourself." Derek said sharply.