b o n u s : b a b y s t e p s p t. II

Jason kept an eye on Elina and her niece, Ophelia as the older girl entertained the younger

Jason kept an eye on Elina and her niece, Ophelia as the older girl entertained the younger. Hera had accompanied them for a while before she'd retired for bed claiming that the time zones were not settling in well with her.

Jase flipped the page of the novel he'd been reading when he heard the high pitched squeal and a series of laughter as Ophelia ran away from Elina. He heard Elina call out for her to slow down.

Elina carefully stood up, one hand supporting her large stomach. Ophelia was in the distance, fiddling with the remote control of the car they'd been playing with the whole time.

It happened when Jason took away his eyes for a moment to grab the water bottle from the porch - Ophelia rushing out of the gates onto the road to fetch her stray car, Elina's panicked shout and her footfalls slipping as she rushed after her niece.

"Ellie!" Jason yelled in horror, pushing his body up and off the security of the wheelchair.

Elina felt a grip of air around her body, bracing her off the ground long enough for Jason to get to her. Both of them wore similar expressions of panic on their faces. Elina's eyes widened even further when the situation around her sunk in deeper.

She'd almost fallen down yes, but - but - Jason. A jolt of pain, as Jason sat on the ground, shook through her. It wasn't that he dropped her, even now he had his arms securely wrapped her midriff. She was more worried about his bones than hers.

But the pain, it was not the same as the fake labor pains she got in the past week. This time it felt different. This one truly, truly hurt her in the deepest way possible. She whimpered, clutching her aching belly.

Their little commotion got the rest of her family outside the house. Aiden's eyes widened as he rushed over to them. He carefully untangled her from the other boy's limbs. His worry increased when she cried out in agony.

"Get Ophelia. Outside." Elina said urgently. But Cole was already on his way, throwing a furtive worried glance at his sister.

"I'm going to pick you up, okay? Hold on." Aiden said slowly. "Are you alright Jason?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Get her inside." Jase mumbled. His voice seemed to remind Elina something again. Her head whipped in his direction. Despite the unshed tears in her eyes, her lips broadened into a smile.

"You- do you realise how you got here?" Elina asked, barely able to contain her excitement. She winced as another wave of pain washed over her.

Aiden heaved her into his arms in one go. Elina immediately wrapped one arm securely around his neck and clutched her stomach with the other. Kyle ran to help Jase as Hera dragged the wheelchair along behind him.

Aiden carefully placed Elina on the bed in one of the rooms on the ground floor. Hailey fussed over her as she cried out in agony. Hailey shot Aiden a worried glance just as Elina's father entered the room.