f i f t e e n

The sound of leaves rustling woke me up from my deep slumber

The sound of leaves rustling woke me up from my deep slumber. I blinked, my eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness of the night.

The only light was from the moon and the stars. I sat up slowly, rubbing my eyes to get rid of sleep. It took me a moment or two to properly let my surroundings sink in. The leaves rustled again and this time, a low growl accompanied it.

My heart leapt in my chest. I looked to my right and left and found the girls and Nana sleeping. The small bonfire we created was out, tendrils of smoke arising from it. I looked around for the boys and found Jason peacefully asleep, leaning against the lower trunk of a tree. Aiden was on one of the branches, sleeping with his back against the bark and hand over his face.

Just as I was about to wake Hailey up, there was a loud crash of something falling into a heap of dry leaves and twigs followed by a few grunts.

A wild animal or possibly animals were on the loose and it looks like we are going to be it's very juicy and meaty prey. Great. Just what I needed on my first night or probably early morning here.

By now, everyone was awake. Jason had his makeshift spear in his hand, ready to stab anything that got near. Aiden sat up on the branch, one hand holding his bow and the other positioned to take an arrow from the satchel hanging from his shoulder.

His eyes darted around cautiously, occasionally falling on us to check if we were alright. Hailey, Stella and Melissa were positioned around me, their heads looking around for the intruder. Nana stood near us, her face crinkled up in mild confusion.

My eyes flickered around, taking in the surroundings. I reached for the wooden dagger Jason had made me earlier and curled my fingers securely around the leaf-wrapped handle.

When nothing happened for a few more seconds, the girls relaxed their stance. Aiden gracefully jumped down from his branch on all fours like a cat. His bright blue eyes shone in the moonlight.

"We'll go check it out." He said, nodding slightly at Jase. They left towards where the noises came from. Their footsteps were dainty and careful so as to not stamp on a dry twig.