t h i r t y n i n e

"Her Highness, Crown Princess Elina

"Her Highness, Crown Princess Elina." 

The guard announced as I entered the meeting room. Julian followed me close behind. I wasn't sure if he would be allowed to be with me but I was too nervous to do it alone and wanted a familiar presence that I trusted. Derek really wasn't an option right now. To my relief, nobody said anything as we made our way to the middle of the room where a long table stood covered by a deep red tablecloth with trimmed gold lace border. 

To my surprise, Derek wasn't there at the table along with the Guardians. I mentally thanked myself for deciding to bring Julian along to the meeting. I felt their sharp stares before I saw their faces. The Guardians really made me nervous for some reason. There were four of them present. Three men and one woman.

They were clad in matching thick velvety maroon cloaks with their hoods up. When they saw me however, they pulled it down and stood up, bowing their heads lightly. I did a short but graceful curtsy that I had managed to perfect, thanks to Melissa.

The Guardians looked fairly young like middle aged adults but I heard from Hailey that they were notorious for masking their age with glamour. It was a high level magic that was not commonly used. 

I took a seat near the head of the table. Julian stood protectively a few feet behind my chair. When the Guardians stood patiently without sitting down themselves, I realized they were waiting for my approval.

"Take a seat." I offered graciously. "His Royal Highness is running a little late I see."

I was met with silence. I wanted to shrink away from their scrutinizing stares but held my chin high. 

Princess. You are the High Princess of this country. Act like one. 

"Can we have some tea and biscuits for our esteemed guests, please." I called to Alfred, who stood near the door, his gaze fixed on the wall before him. 

"Certainly, Your Highness." He bowed and left the room quickly.

I sucked in a small breath and dabbed my sweaty palms on my dress.