f o r t y f o u r

Hailey took in a shuddering breath

Hailey took in a shuddering breath. Her best friend suspected the name of the last person she would associate with the word 'traitor'.

Melissa Everleigh

Sweet Melissa who wouldn't hurt a fly if she could help it. Melissa with her doe eyes and the happiest smile that she offered to anybody who needed comfort. Melissa who had stayed with them through thick and thin. Was it all just a part of the bigger picture this whole time? Melissa?

"I couldn't believe my conclusion at first but those eyes a-and the voice- so full of spite and anger. It's been her all this time. I trusted her with my life and she..." Elina trailed away. A pained expression crossed her features.

"What did you mean when you said Netta has been in your system for more than a few hours." Hailey whispered finally.

"When we first came here to the palace, all of you left to visit your families. Melissa was the only one who stayed behind. Since then, she dismissed all of my maids and brought my food and medicines all by herself. I thought it was just her being paranoid after the incident at Lord Dimitri's. But the day Aiden left for Avrael, I coughed out blood just like I did earlier. It felt like my throat was on fire. Even before that, I always felt weak, even dizzy and nauseated if the training was especially long and excruciating. I couldn't even manage to stay on my feet at times. Once it was so bad that I almost toppled down the stairs. But thankfully, Julian caught my hand on time." She paused to drink some water.

"I dismissed it all of it thinking it was just the fatigue getting to me but I did sports in school. I'm not somebody who gets tired so easily. And if I am wrong, where is she now? Melissa went missing the minute the fire started in the town square. We just assumed she got lost in the crowd but I don't know. Something feels wrong. I really want to believe it isn't true but it all adds up when you think about it." Elina explained. She was out of breath by the time she finished. She took a few more sips of water.

"If it is Melissa, then she has to be found. Fae folk make an antidote to every poison they make just like Mages do for their potions. Netta has always been the only exception but Melissa is powerful. One of the many reasons, she was sought out to protect you. She may have something up her sleeve. We have to tell Guardian Agatha." Hailey said, standing up.