f o r t y o n e

Elina tossed and turned in her sleep

Elina tossed and turned in her sleep. The sun was just taking its leave outside but being tired after the training that drained her physically, she fell asleep almost as soon as her head touched the pillow. She was breathing heavily and beads of sweat formed on her forehead. She murmured unintelligible words and scrunched her eyebrows together. In a haste of getting away from whatever was troubling her, she flicked her hand toward the nightstand and knocked over the glass of water placed on it. It fell down with a crash that woke her up with a start.

Elina bolted upright, chest heaving. A series of knocks sounded from her door. Wiping the sweat away using her sleeve, she calmed herself down.

'Just a nightmare. It's not real.', She convinced herself. Julian's head popped in a few beats later.

"Are you alright, Princess? I heard something just now." He said. His gaze swept around the room looking for possible intruders, one hand placed ready on the hilt of his sword.

"I'm fine. Just knocked this over by mistake." Elina replied, gesturing at the broken glass on the floor. "Can you call for a maid, please?"

Julian nod his head and left the room. Elina sighed to herself and stretched her arms. The village bell rang just then indicating that it was six in the evening.

"Shoot! Hailey will be waiting for me." She said, fumbling out of the bed.

As she got dressed, Elina heard the maid cleaning up the mess outside. She clothed herself in a baby blue dress that ended just above her ankles and wrapped a thick white woolen scarf around her neck. It was getting colder as the days went by and the palace was especially chilly with all the drafts coming in at night.

She decided against the gloves given that she was going to practice her magic and burning her gloves really wasn't on the list of things to do. Instead, she exchanged her slippers for a pair of white kitten heels and tied her hair up in a ponytail and wrapped it with a slender blue ribbon. Elina considered taking off her amulet to see how far she could control her magic without it but decided not to leave it unguarded in her room.