f o r t y t h r e e

Elina panted

Elina panted. She was tired. There was barely any strength left in her body. She felt Glace nuzzle her. She smiled weakly at her and pat her neck.

"I'm okay. Give me a few minutes." She told the dragon. "I just need to catch my breath. That was hard work."

The amulet was on the floor having broken the chain links that kept it connected. She thought she saw a crack in the crystal that protectively lay beneath the outer metal design that protected it but she couldn't bother herself to inspect it at the moment.

The last thing she remembered was a bubble of bright light engulfing Kyle and cracking like an egg that fell on the floor when she applied every last bit of energy she possessed. She didn't remember how she knew the spell but it was clearly imprinted in her head at that moment.

"I wonder how long it is going to take me to gather enough energy to open the portal key." She muttered to herself. Black spots appeared in her vision spectrum. Elina shook her head, platinum blonde hair falling into her eyes.

The lights flickered to life above her. She saw Kyle wake up. He groaned and popped his bones. She cringed at the sound and glanced at his hands. They were back normal but Elina knew the power now resided inside him. She had only been able to take away the toxicity from the serum that reacted unfavorably on his body and suppress the magnitude and side effects of the serum to a great extent. She required the missing locket to complete the spell and take away his powers completely.

Elina felt something sticky and wet on her abdomen. She peeped inside her shirt to see that her stitches had reopened from the pressure. She sighed.

"I could have gotten a tattoo sleeve and it would have hurt much lesser than this." She grumbled hoarsely.

Her blood looked darker than usual, almost as dark at the night sky. She wondered if it was just her eyes playing tricks on her.

"Ellie!" Kyle shouted, springing up on his feet. Elina winced.

"Hmm?" She hummed. She rested her head on Glace and pressed her hand on her wound. The veins surrounding the cut wove like dark spider webs, almost similar to what Kyle's body had looked like minutes before. 'The knife must have been poisoned.' She thought to herself. 'Do poisoned cuts have a different healing process?'