lvii. where you left your heart

"HEY!" CULLEN GREETS, a bright smile on her face as she joins Marcel, Josh, Hayley, and Freya at their table

       "HEY!" CULLEN GREETS, a bright smile on her face as she joins Marcel, Josh, Hayley, and Freya at their table. "Sorry I'm late."

"You're good." Hayley reassures. "We were just getting ready to talk about Mardi Gras."

"Mardi Gras prep." Vincent corrects.

"Oh, come on, Vincent, we got this. All right? It's gone off without a hitch for, what, seven years now?" Josh questions, taking a sip from his drink.

"Josh, that's because we haven't taken it for granted in seven years." Vincent lectures. "Let me remind you, moments of prosperity are invariably followed by times of great pain, unless we remain vigilant."

"Thank you, Mr. Buzzkill." Freya mutters playfully.

"Okay, Freya, Cullen what you got, Mardi Gras prep?" Vincent glances between the two women.

"The witches will be working on their float in the City of the Dead." Cullen supplies, looking towards Freya to confirm that's what they had decided.

"The werewolves in the Bayou." Hayley continues.

"Josh?" Vincent calls when Josh doesn't look up from his phone.

"Yeah?" Josh looks up, he had obviously not been paying attention.

"Hmm?" Vincent laughs. "This is when you're supposed to say that the vampires are gonna steer clear of both."

"Yeah. Uh, actually, maybe we should offer them some sort of incentive." Josh stutters out, knowing his idea wouldn't be met with approval.

"Seven years of peace and prosperity not enough?" Cullen questions, an eyebrow arching.

Josh nods. "Well, it is, but we could always use more daylight rings."

"Is this a negotiation, Josh?" Before Josh can answer his phone goes off, giving Vincent an opportunity to peak forward, seeing a familiar name. "Marcel."

"You know what? First of all, reading that was very rude, and second-" Josh isn't even able to finish his sentence before Vincent cuts him off.

"Josh, I don't know how many times I have told you that what goes on in this city is no longer any of Marcel Gerard's business. Okay? A-And, guys, this is what I'm always talking about. Marcel means Rebekah. Rebekah means Kol and Elijah. And I don't even want to think about Klaus right now, 'cause apparently, he has lost his mind." At the mention of Klaus, Cullen stiffens. They had kept in contact the last seven years, but she hadn't seen him in person and while they barely talked Klaus didn't speak to Hope at all.

"Oh, come on, we don't know if those rumors are true." Freya shakes her head, though she knew neither her nor Cullen had heard from Klaus lately.

"I know that we need to make sure that they stay as far away from this city as possible. And Freya, I'll be Mr. Buzzkill if it means reminding everybody here that the magic that those four carry inside of them, if we just put two of them in the same place, it is a ticking bomb." Vincent stresses.