iii. what could be

AFTER KLAUS' CONFESSION Rebekah took a breather, walking out to sit on the back porch

AFTER KLAUS' CONFESSION Rebekah took a breather, walking out to sit on the back porch. Cullen followed behind her, wanting to make sure she was okay. "I know you don't know me very well but thanks. I appreciate what you did in there."

Rebekah sighs. "Us girls have got to look out for each other."

"What is it with you two?" Cullen questions. "You say you hate him, but the way you deal with him, it's so clear. Even when you hate him, you still love him."

"I guess when you spend a thousand years with someone, deciding to quit them is like losing a part of yourself. But sometimes the hate is just so powerful." Rebekah shakes her head. "Emil wasn't the only boyfriend of mine that Klaus killed. He did it again, and again, and every time I found someone to care about. He just kept doing it until, finally, I stopped falling in love. He said he was protecting me from my mistakes, that no one was ever good enough for his little sister. Until one day, someone was."

Cullen nods, listening to Rebekah before asking her another question. "If you know Marcel has Elijah, why don't you just get him back yourself?"

"Because, if I cross my brother, there's still a coffin downstairs with my name on it." Rebekah exclaims. Cullen thinks for a moment before bending down to pick up the daggers lying by her chair.

"Oh, my god." Rebekah mutters when she notices the weapons.

"I found them under your coffin. So, if a couple of antique steak knives were the only thing stopping you from getting Elijah back, then here you go." Cullen offers, handing them to Rebekah.

Rebekah takes ahold of the daggers, a sinister smile on her face as she looks towards Cullen. "I really like you."

-

The sun shining across her face is the thing that wakes Cullen up the next morning. After her chat with Rebekah the girls had parted ways and Cullen had gone to bed, already feeling the affects of the long day. Surprisingly the first thing she sees when she opens her eyes is Klaus looking through her grimoire. "I wasn't able to use it." Cullen speaks up, alerting Klaus that she was awake.

"You're awake." Klaus mumbles, setting the book down. He tries not to look at Cullen as he walks over to the window in her room, keeping his attention on the world outside. "What stopped you? You could have been free of all of this... of me."

"I still can." Cullen softly says. "I don't know if I'm strong enough to break the spell, but even if I am I wouldn't leave. I grew up without my parents, they died when I was young and I bounced from friends house to friends house. I never had a true home. I guess I realized that I've never had a real family and now... I will. What I said last night about the baby being mine, I didn't mean it. They're ours... no matter what happens."

Klaus continued to stare out the window as he listened to Cullen's words. He tried his best to rid himself of the tears forming in his eyes before he turned to her. "I'm beginning to think we're a lot alike, you and I. We're both castoffs who have learned to fight when we're backed into a corner."