lviii. even though i hate you i love you

IT'S DARK OUTSIDE and Cullen's just finished speaking to Freya when she enters her bedroom, freezing when the sound of whispering fills her ears

       IT'S DARK OUTSIDE and Cullen's just finished speaking to Freya when she enters her bedroom, freezing when the sound of whispering fills her ears. She looks around, searching for the culprit only to stop when she notices a familiar figure standing on her balcony.

"Klaus." Cullen whispers.

"Cullen." Klaus acknowledges her, entering her room. "I've missed you."

Cullen scoffs, while all she wanted to do was hug him, Klaus would be getting a talking to first. "You missed me? You know how that could have been avoided? If you called me once in a while or you know it is the 21st century. We could have face-timed."

"That technology stuff is not exactly my forte." Klaus smirks lightly, trying to clear the heavy atmosphere.

Cullen shakes her head, glaring at him before she finally gives in. Walking towards him the two ignore the whispers growing louder as they touch for the first time in seven years. "Even though I hate you." Cullen places a kiss on Klaus' lips. "I love you."

Her words bring a wicked smile to Klaus' face as his heart swells, knowing that even after all this time and space between him his wife still loved him. "I love you, too."

As they pull away Cullen goes to speak with him about Rebekah, but the sound of hurrying foot steps stop them. "Go." Cullen sighs, knowing Hope would reach her room any moment. "I'll see you later."

Klaus nods sadly before speeding away just in time for Hope to enter Cullen's room. "Dad?" Hope questions, glancing around the room. The look of disappoint is clear on Hope's face when she sees only her mother is in the room.

-

The night had passed and the search for Rebekah was just beginning. Klaus and Marcel were working together to question the wolves and vampires while Freya and Cullen focused on the witches. Cullen had just gotten back home from working on a spell in the Ninth Ward when screams could be heard throughout the compound. Speeding into the building Cullen looked around, trying to find Hope. "Hope! Hope!"

"Mom." Hope calls back as Cullen follows her voice, entering the foyer to see her and Klaus standing in front of one another. Cullen's eyes widen as she looks over an agitated Hope and an awestruck Klaus. "Great now the whole families here."

"Klaus leave." Cullen urges knowing that he couldn't be around the two of them.

"I bloody can't." Klaus snaps back, pointing a finger at Hope. "She's got me spelled in here."

"Hope." Cullen turns to her daughter "You know we can't be around your father. You need to let him out now."

"No. I've waited fo this moment for years. We are going to talk." Hope exclaims before turning to Klaus. "You called, you wrote letters, then you stopped... why?"

"You know why." Klaus states.

"I didn't think I had to knock before entering an astral plane. Sorry I interrupted your murder orgy." Hope snaps, referring to the time when she was nine. She had used the ancestral plane to try and see Klaus only to find him in the middle of a murder spree. Cullen hadn't exactly been happy when she found out about that.

"You came to me that night because cards and letters weren't enough. I stopped them for your own good." Klaus explains.

"You don't know what's good for me." Hope shakes her head. "You know, you stir up these stories about a crazy original dropping bodies, and people talk at school, and I have to be quiet little Hope James, when I am so mad I want to scream."

"Well, welcome to the bloody party!" Klaus raises his voice.

"Ok enough." Cullen interrupts, moving between her daughter and husband. "Both of you, take a break."

The three Mikaelson's move away from one another, the Hollow's power diminishing just a bit, enough for them to clear their heads. "I was protecting you when I left." Klaus is the first to speak again. "The horror in your eyes that night when you saw me is... burned into my memory."

"I was nine. And I saw this scary monster who looked like my dad... who taught me how to mix paint... who called me a princess. I didn't know which version of you was real. And I waited for you to explain it... Or apologize. Or tell me that you loved me. I waited for you for years. But you didn't come." Hope cries, tears streaming down her face. It broke Cullen's heart to see her like that, so sad about her father.

"In my experience, fathers cause pain. Whether by their presence or their absence, there's a certain type of ruin that only a father can... can leave behind. And you... you were such a sweet little girl. Perhaps I was always bound to leave you broken." Klaus exclaims, not realizing the effect his words had.

"Klaus." Cullen's eyes widen.

"You-you really think I'm broken?" Hope stutters out, shaking her head. "Maybe you're right. Maybe that little girl you miss so much would be better off if she'd never loved you at all. You can go now. I have my mom, and she's more than you will ever be."

"Hope." Cullen sighs, knowing that the both of them knew just the right strings to pull to hurt one another.

"Hope, please..." Klaus whispers, tears of his own falling. Hope only shakes her head in response, letting Klaus know that for now she was done. As Hope uses her magic to spell open the doors Klaus and Cullen glance at one another, worry in their eyes when they see snakes slithering out of the fountain in the courtyard. Things were already getting bad and the three of them hadn't even been together for more than thirty minutes.

"Go, Klaus." Cullen tells him lightly, placing a comforting hand on his arm. Taking one last look at Hope and Cullen, Klaus nods slightly before speeding away. Before Cullen can begin to comfort her crying daughter her phone buzzes. Sighing she reaches into her back pocket, grabbing ahold of her phone. "Oh, my god."

"What?" Hope questions, whipping her tears away.

"It's Henry." Cullen runs her hand down her face. "He's dead."